Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Cookie" Coins

I have wanted to get more involved in beach hunting and have the proper equipment standing by for better weather.? Meanwhile I have been hitting the dry areas of a couple of beaches on a regular basis trying to gain some experience.The lake I have concentrated on has a very high salinity content due to the fact that it's source runs through the Great Salt Plains in western OKlahoma.? Therefore, I am finding many "cookie" coins just like you would find at the seaside beaches.? Most of them are pennies.? I can tell they are pennies by size and color and sometimes I can barely make out one or two of the features on the face of the coin. However, I have found a few clad quarters, dimes and nickels that are hardly recognizable.? A very hard crusty build up forms on the coins which I thought may just be salt residue, but they don't have a salty taste when you put your tongue to them.? Instead of eating up a zinc penny like normal soil conditions, it seems to form a hard cover that actually seals the coin inside.? On a penny, it actually eats into the surface and will destroy the coin if scraped off.? ?On the other clad coins you can scrape most of it off with a sharp edged of a knife without doing much damage to the coin.? I know it's some sort of corrosion, but does anyone know exactly what it is?? MONTY

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Re: "Cookie" Coins

Sounds like maybe Alkali- try hitting one with vinegar, just for the heck of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread