Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this really neat token recently...I know it's not a today find, but I finally figured out what was keeping my pics from posting and am very excited about getting this little gem out there. So, my friend Mike and I are hunting an older part of town, we got permission for one yard and then their neighbors...hit some older clad then a couple wheats, then got an iffy signal, (one of many, lot of trash)... but it was VERY faint, jumpy and scratchy so I passed. Have you ever passed on an iffy signal and then it gnawed at you? Exactly...so I go back, the depth is flashing between 8 and 10 inches. At 6 inches I remove a very large, rusty nail. I ran the coil over the hole and now have a nice, clear high signal. At 8-9 inches I pull this little guy out..."T.G. BAY" on one side, "GOOD FOR 1 PINT MILK" on the other. I haven't researched it yet...BUT, I'm not sure if it's a coincidence, but just 2 blocks away is Bay's Market, an older carry out and meat packing/processing store. Thx very much for looking, hope you enjoyed looking as much as I had digging...DDF.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-10-12-22-24-57.png
    Screenshot_2016-10-12-22-24-57.png
    704.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Screenshot_2016-10-12-22-27-06.png
    Screenshot_2016-10-12-22-27-06.png
    867.4 KB · Views: 74
Upvote 17

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They also call them a 4 scallop, shape-wise.
Most dug, (out here in Colorado at least) are 8 and 12 scallop.
Killer find, tokens are the best!
Someone soon will chime in with info about it's history.
Carl

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They also call them a 4 scallop, shape-wise.
Most dug, (out here in Colorado at least) are 8 and 12 scallop.
Killer find, tokens are the best!
Someone soon will chime in with info about it's history.
Carl

Thx Carl! Appreciate the information, and if that token IS associated with the Bay's store that is still in business, I'm going to go claim my free pint of milk! Ha...Ddf

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great looking token. I like the scallop shaped ones the best. I never pass on iffy signals, I dig everything ! I usually weigh 15 pounds more after an outing ( from all the junk I dig ) but by doing this, nothing gets passed me either.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find DDF. That's cool that the place is still in business. I bet that pint of milk is sour after all this time! Have someone else taste it first.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that sweet token, you always need to listen to your gut. Glad you went back and dug that iffy. :icon_thumright:

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
DDF--Reiter's Catalog of Dairy/Milk tokens has it listed as "Ohio?". I've asked the fellow who is currently working on an an update to the Ohio Trade Tokens book to see if he can find proof of who/when/where. It would be great if you could post it to tokencatalog.com or give me permission to do it using your photos. But in the meantime, I think I have found it:

The 1915 Fairfield County, OH City Directory shows G. T. Bay as having a dairy at 224 S. Wyandotte St. in Lancaster. His name in the Censuses around that time was Garl (not Carl) T. Bay - it was not at all unusual for people to reverse their first and middle names/initials for listings in such things as directories and Censuses which they considered to be a bit nosey. In fact, he is listed as T. Garl in some and as Garl T. in city directories 1904-47. The 1947 directory has him as a grocer, so that is probably the "ancestor business" of the current Gay's Market.

John in the Great 208

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that sweet token, you always need to listen to your gut. Glad you went back and dug that iffy. :icon_thumright:

Thx Loco...it was just one of those deep, bouncy, scratchy signals that had that little chirp in one direction...glad I dug it too! Ddf

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DDF--Reiter's Catalog of Dairy/Milk tokens has it listed as "Ohio?". I've asked the fellow who is currently working on an an update to the Ohio Trade Tokens book to see if he can find proof of who/when/where. It would be great if you could post it to tokencatalog.com or give me permission to do it using your photos. But in the meantime, I think I have found it:

The 1915 Fairfield County, OH City Directory shows G. T. Bay as having a dairy at 224 S. Wyandotte St. in Lancaster. His name in the Censuses around that time was Garl (not Carl) T. Bay - it was not at all unusual for people to reverse their first and middle names/initials for listings in such things as directories and Censuses which they considered to be a bit nosey. In fact, he is listed as T. Garl in some and as Garl T. in city directories 1904-47. The 1947 directory has him as a grocer, so that is probably the "ancestor business" of the current Gay's Market.

John in the Great 208

Wow! Great info! Yes, you have my full permission to do what you please, and I will try to post it on the token site tonite..Wyandotte St. is a block or so the opposite direction of the current store, about a block from where I found it...im interested to see what you come up with! Thx Ddf...

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find DDF. That's cool that the place is still in business. I bet that pint of milk is sour after all this time! Have someone else taste it first.

Thanks Tom, I'll have one of the kids try that milk first! Ddf

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love old tokens that's a great find !! I cringe thinking about all the iffys I pass up when I hunt trashy areas but sometimes I have limited time and just hunt good targets goes to show me!!!Thanks for sharing I bet that store would get a kick out of seeing that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread