cool estate sale find!! butlers crumb catcher plate

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
Grabbed today for $2 being that everything was half price. Company name was JLS silver company. As was explained it was used by butlers to collect crumbs off of table. Having trouble dating the piece but fairly sure it isn’t new. Thanks for viewing and have a great weekend!! IMG_0915.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0916.jpeg
    IMG_0916.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 57

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's cool that the fish has a mustache!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find.

It is indeed for collecting debris at the dining table... not just crumbs and food material but also for emptying ash trays. They're also known as "silent butlers" and "ash butlers".
Although often sold as "Victorian", they were more popular in the first part of the 20th Century and still being made as late as the 1960s in Victorian styles.
There's one here, with the same engraved fish as a pseudo-crest, that has the same maker mark:

Butler.jpg

Butler2.jpg

I don't recognise the maker mark and it doesn't seem to be a registered trademark in the US but the stylised letters look to be from the 20th Century.

OP
OP
cajundetector

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
Cool find.

It is indeed for collecting debris at the dining table... not just crumbs and food material but also for emptying ash trays. They're also known as "silent butlers" and "ash butlers".
Although often sold as "Victorian", they were more popular in the first part of the 20th Century and still being made as late as the 1960s in Victorian styles.
There's one here, with the same engraved fish as a pseudo-crest, that has the same maker mark:

View attachment 2129340
View attachment 2129341

I don't recognise the maker mark and it doesn't seem to be a registered trademark in the US but the stylised letters look to be from the 20th Century.
Thank you for the information redcoat! That is very helpful.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen quite a few of those in my searches. I really never knew what they were for until now. I've yet to find any solid silver ones. All plated so far.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread