Cool find this evening: 1936 D San Diego Commemorative

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find this evening: 1936 D San Diego Commemorative UPDATED W/Pics

Found in my second of six boxes this evening. Coolest CRHing half find so far for me, at around 30K minting also the rarest. Ill get a pic up later tonight or tomorrow.

scaled.php

Pic added. It appears the coin was glued to something at some point, ill have to look into how this should be cleaned.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mfleming98

Greenie
Jan 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! As a San Diegan I would kill to have one of these in my collection :-)

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go! That's awesome! I've always dreamed of finding one of the state commemorative half dollars. This gives me hope! Best find ever as far as I'm concerned. Those half dollars are so cool

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find :thumbsup: Love to score one of those early commemoratives in a roll!

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008
Very awesome find namster!!! That is the first San Diego Comm I've seen posted on the forum :hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2::hello2:

HH,
CD

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find, congrats!

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a sweet looking half! Congrats Namster!

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking commemorative! Makes you wonder how it got into circulation.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
In response to your question in the Coins forum on how to go about conserving it: You can do it your self or you can pay someone else. I personally would do it myself. I would use Muriatic Acid to remove the glue like substance. If you only had residue, then I would use straight Acetone (not nail polish remover). But being that you have some chunks of glue adhering to the surface, then Muriatic acid is the way to go. Muriatic acid is available in the pool chemical department. You want to use the weakest solution while still achieving the resutls. Remember when working with acid - Always Add Acid. Do Not add water to the acid, but rather acid to the water. Use distilled water in case you have funky water.

Blend the solution; Soak the coin; remove the coin with metal forceps/tweezers; and rinse in fresh water. It is fine to use a gentle liquid dish detergent to gently rub between your fingers while rinsing the coin. Repeat the process until satisfied with the results.

You do not want to use any mechanical device to remove the glue as it will damage the surface of the coin. Muriatic acid will not harm silver.

If you aren't confident with the process, then take one of your crummy 90% Kennedy halves and experiment with it. Put some heavy duty adhesive on the Kennedy to duplicate your problem and experiment away. Your San Diego commem won't get any worse in it's condition.

Congratulations on a heck of a find.

Lyfeguard

Jan 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome find!!! PCGS puts that at a $90 for a grade 40!!!

Dekay

Dec 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job Namster! Great find. That is a CRHing score to enjoy.

HH Dave

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We know how it got into circulation ! ignorance on the part of the public at large ! that's how . Argentium.

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks fellas. When I opened the roll I saw the edge peering out and I was thinking, "well, who are you?" Thought it was going the be a SL.

DD- Thanks for the input on cleaning it. Id like to try keeping the original patina as intact as possible, but I fear that may not be possible.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin... nothing like an old silver commemorative half dollar, that would be the find of the year for me if I ever found an old silver commemorative in circulation!
HH
buff

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Thanks fellas. When I opened the roll I saw the edge peering out and I was thinking, "well, who are you?" Thought it was going the be a SL.

DD- Thanks for the input on cleaning it. Id like to try keeping the original patina as intact as possible, but I fear that may not be possible.

Whatever you decide to do, do not be in a hurry. And do NOT use a mechanical device (dental pick, etc.) to pick away the adhesion. It will impair coin's surface ruining the numismatic value.

F

Farchaus2k

Ron Burgundy: Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.
Veronica Corningstone: No, there's no way that's correct.
Ron Burgundy: I'm sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don't know what it means. I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.
Veronica Corningstone: Doesn't it mean Saint Diego?
Ron Burgundy: No. No.
Veronica Corningstone: No, that's - that's what it means. Really.
Ron Burgundy: Agree to disagree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread