Cool little story

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was making my regular Friday pickup at my favorite bank. It was nice and quiet, no line to speak of, just one customer at the merchant window. She took for ever, something about a wire transfer I think. In the mean time the line is piling up...which included a very uneasy looking "goth" fellow complete with nose ring and vacant gaze off into nowhere. He asks another customer if she is in line, she says yes. He looks at me (I am sitting in one of the chars) and asks if I am in line. I say I am. He looks frustrated, and in a hurry. He then darts up to the counter and says to the teller he "just wants to trade out some coins." Great, I'm thinking, another CRHer, and he is messing with my best bank. I'm thinking..why cant these newbies just chill and wait in line? The teller asks him to wait his turn and he retreats.

Finally the wire transfer lady is done, its my turn and I can see the teller (a real nice young lady) is already filling out the buy/sell to get my coin. I lucked out and scored one more box than I usually do. So...I have a seat and wait for the VT to get my boxes. Its now the goth kids turn at the window. I hear clank, clank, clank, bunch of coin hitting the table. I have a very good ear, and could not determine if they were silver or clad (turns out most were Ikes, which have a deeper ring to them than halves), I tried to get a discreet look at what he brought in, but could only see a couple piles of what were obviously clad. Got to be a CRHer, im thinking.

The VT brings out my boxes, and since my young son is with me I have to do 2 at a time, for a total of 3 trips to the car. Between the first and second trip, the teller I spoke of earlier said, "Namster, when you are finished loading these into the car we need to speak to you." F-ing great, im thinking, its all over. Ben Bernake himself is probably going to come out of the vault and suck my brain out. Its all over... Anyoldways, I finish loading and go back in to face certain death. The teller says, hey, look at these coins, I think I saw a good one in all of them. The goth kid had dropped off what looked like mostly Ikes, some halves, and some quarters. I asked how much was in the bag and she said it would have to go out for count. Bummer, I wanted to buy the bag (it was probably in the $80 range) but I couldn't and there was a line forming. I spotted a 64 Kennedy through the bag and pointed to it, which I was able to buy. I thanked the teller and went on my way.

Sort of a long story for a single 64 Kennedy, but I thought it was a cool experience. Especially after thinking Bernake himself was going to cut the top of my head off and eat my brain. Also, be nice to your tellers folks, if they like you some of them will spot silver and covertly save it for you. ;)

HH everyone!

Upvote 0

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeeze.. That sucks... Nothing worse than watching silver slip through your fingers..

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was making my regular Friday pickup at my favorite bank. It was nice and quiet, no line to speak of, just one customer at the merchant window. She took for ever, something about a wire transfer I think. In the mean time the line is piling up...which included a very uneasy looking "goth" fellow complete with nose ring and vacant gaze off into nowhere. He asks another customer if she is in line, she says yes. He looks at me (I am sitting in one of the chars) and asks if I am in line. I say I am. He looks frustrated, and in a hurry. He then darts up to the counter and says to the teller he "just wants to trade out some coins." Great, I'm thinking, another CRHer, and he is messing with my best bank. I'm thinking..why cant these newbies just chill and wait in line? The teller asks him to wait his turn and he retreats.

Finally the wire transfer lady is done, its my turn and I can see the teller (a real nice young lady) is already filling out the buy/sell to get my coin. I lucked out and scored one more box than I usually do. So...I have a seat and wait for the VT to get my boxes. Its now the goth kids turn at the window. I hear clank, clank, clank, bunch of coin hitting the table. I have a very good ear, and could not determine if they were silver or clad (turns out most were Ikes, which have a deeper ring to them than halves), I tried to get a discreet look at what he brought in, but could only see a couple piles of what were obviously clad. Got to be a CRHer, im thinking.

The VT brings out my boxes, and since my young son is with me I have to do 2 at a time, for a total of 3 trips to the car. Between the first and second trip, the teller I spoke of earlier said, "Namster, when you are finished loading these into the car we need to speak to you." F-ing great, im thinking, its all over. Ben Bernake himself is probably going to come out of the vault and suck my brain out. Its all over... Anyoldways, I finish loading and go back in to face certain death. The teller says, hey, look at these coins, I think I saw a good one in all of them. The goth kid had dropped off what looked like mostly Ikes, some halves, and some quarters. I asked how much was in the bag and she said it would have to go out for count. Bummer, I wanted to buy the bag (it was probably in the $80 range) but I couldn't and there was a line forming. I spotted a 64 Kennedy through the bag and pointed to it, which I was able to buy. I thanked the teller and went on my way.

Sort of a long story for a single 64 Kennedy, but I thought it was a cool experience. Especially after thinking Bernake himself was going to cut the top of my head off and eat my brain. Also, be nice to your tellers folks, if they like you some of them will spot silver and covertly save it for you. ;)

HH everyone!

I would go back and ask to buy what was in the bag when there is no line. Congrats on the find.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh well.. There's always next time. You should of asked her if she could trade that 64 out with a clad half..

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did actually buy that 64, since the bag was not yet sealed. I think ill see if I can buy the bag tomorrow

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I went back to that bank and asked if the bag had been counted and sealed. The teller said that since the customer did not come in with rolled coin, or even an idea of how much money in coin he had, the bag will be sent out for count to then be credited to his account. Long story short, I couldnt buy the bag. Oh well, I did get that one 64, and I remember looking when the bag was flattened out I did not see any morgans or peace dollars, which is why I wanted to buy the bag..to double check for those.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Today I went back to that bank and asked if the bag had been counted and sealed. The teller said that since the customer did not come in with rolled coin, or even an idea of how much money in coin he had, the bag will be sent out for count to then be credited to his account. Long story short, I couldnt buy the bag. Oh well, I did get that one 64, and I remember looking when the bag was flattened out I did not see any morgans or peace dollars, which is why I wanted to buy the bag..to double check for those.

It's a shame they wouldn't let you peak at it and trade out for something you might have wanted before they sealed it. I just dumped 2 bags Thursday and while standing in line one of the bank ladies came up to me and asked what my coins were, I told her they were halves and she said that her husband collects those, but, they didn't let them look through the bags once they are sealed to be sent out. I told her there was nothing worth looking for in these anyway. HH, Maverick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions