Cool old shipwreck plank

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Arrived down in FL today. Dropped into moms place- she casually mentioned she was out walking on the beach recently and found a shipwreck plank washed up with some spikes still embedded.

Is there any way to date this stuff once it hits this degree of decomposition?

sw1.jpg

sw2.jpg

sw3.jpg

She found it on St. Augustine Beach, so I guess the potential for it to be old-old is there. She also had a few encrusted metal objects she picked up on SAB after storms that I haven't had a chance to look at further, but they appear to be way old too.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a cool relic. Hope someone chimes in on how to date.

inletsurf

Oct 1, 2006
Sebastian Inlet, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LSMorgan said:
Arrived down in FL today. Dropped into moms place- she casually mentioned she was out walking on the beach recently and found a shipwreck plank washed up with some spikes still embedded.

Is there any way to date this stuff once it hits this degree of decomposition?

sw1.jpg

sw2.jpg

sw3.jpg

She found it on St. Augustine Beach, so I guess the potential for it to be old-old is there. She also had a few encrusted metal objects she picked up on SAB after storms that I haven't had a chance to look at further, but they appear to be way old too.

What beach in St Aug did you find it on? If I remember right, there's a shipwreck buried in the sand somewhere by B or C street. It would become exposed from time to time after big swells/surges.

OP
OP
LM

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
inletsurf said:
What beach in St Aug did you find it on? If I remember right, there's a shipwreck buried in the sand somewhere by B or C street. It would become exposed from time to time after big swells/surges.

It's not from that one. This washed up just north of the pier by the hotel.

Yes, the buried wreck is right around where you say. They *really* buried it after the last renourishment >:(
Kinda pathetic to see all the in-situ archies hustling and bustling to get something from it. Sat there for however many years "in situ" and they did nothing, until they had to renourish. They love knowing it's there to eventually do something with... It's the actually doing something that they seem to have a problem with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread