Cool Print Find

Foreverman

Greenie
Aug 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in a tub full of old sheets music. I was mostly drawn to it because of the name in pencil at the bottom. Would love to know more about if someone knows what I found. Thanks 20210522_153153.jpg 20210522_153156.jpg 20210522_153200.jpg

Attachments

• 20210522_153148.jpg
    20210522_153148.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

This is a limited edition etching produced as a hand coloured ā€˜aquatintā€™, sold through the gallery of Sidney Z. Lucas in New York and other US cities. Note that it has his ā€˜SZLā€™ monogram at the bottom left, preceded by the number ā€˜312ā€™ which is the sequence number in the series. They usually run up to about 350 and donā€™t usually exceed 500.

In the 1920s, Lucas owned ā€˜The Old Print Centerā€™ in New York and ran a gallery called the ā€˜Camilla Lucas Galleryā€™, operating in wholesale art publishing and retail art sales of modern and contemporary prints as well as reproductions of prints.

As a separate venture, in the 1930s, he formed the ā€˜Paris Etching Societyā€™ personally travelling to Europe to commission work by primarily French and Flemish artists. The etchings were printed in France (usually indicated by a stamp on the back) on textured paper and hand coloured in pastel shades by the artists. The works are artist-signed, often in pencil, and sometimes illegibly so, but ā€˜Pierreā€™ is one of the known signatures. This is not to be confused with the title on your print ā€˜Pont de Pierreā€™. The word ā€˜pierreā€™ also means ā€˜stoneā€™ in French and ā€˜pontā€™ means ā€˜bridgeā€™, so itā€™s just titled ā€˜Stone Bridgeā€™.

The artists he used were of no particular note and these are commercial works produced in relatively large numbers through until the 1940s. As such they have no real ā€˜collectorā€™ value and are only valued for their artistic merit and decorative appeal. I would say this one is a bit ā€˜tweeā€™ for most tastes but, if you have a ā€˜Worthpointā€™ subscription, you can see what this one (same subject as yours) sold for:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/framed-stone-bridge-landscape-pierre-1795728157

OP
OP
F

Foreverman

Greenie
Aug 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. Thats why I love this site. Thank you very much for the info. I only paid .25 for it but definitely an interesting piece even though not very valuable

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
Fantastic info RC! I have a quick question. Over the past few years I've picked up a few Picasso prints at garage sales and local thrifts. I know the chances of them having any value beyond decorative is negligible but if I were to start another thread and post some pics, could you tell me definitively if they're just wall hangers or if I have something good here? (assuming I can find them in this mess I call a house of course. lol)

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic info RC! I have a quick question. Over the past few years I've picked up a few Picasso prints at garage sales and local thrifts. I know the chances of them having any value beyond decorative is negligible but if I were to start another thread and post some pics, could you tell me definitively if they're just wall hangers or if I have something good here? (assuming I can find them in this mess I call a house of course. lol)

Give it a whirl. Only the pictures themselves and any frame or gallery markings might shed some light on what you have. I'll help if I can!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread