Cool Rev War Digs from Old Virginia

Waterhead

Sep 15, 2015
South Eastern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, Equinox, Oh, I can’t help to give creds to my Fisher CZ-20.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I'd post this up just because of the historical significance from a cool section of a colonial shoe buckle I dug.

I was hitting an old colonial home site a while back in SE Virginia which has produced me 10 Spanish pieces of silver to include 2 cobs, a 1-reale and 7 cut fractional bits. The 11th coin I popped out was a cut 1773 Virginia Half Penny which happens to be my favorite coin. This is my 13th Virginia Half Penny and I have never dug one that has been cut.

While cleaning one of the many sections of shoe buckle ruminates I found at this site, I noticed this one has writing cast into it. It says, "NO EXCISE" which immediately called me to the Boston Tea Party and the associated Excise or Tax Man. In fact the N in "NO" was cast backwards in the buckle which I thought was a neat anomaly. I know it's just a section of buckle but it's pretty historically significant to me. I only wish I could have found the complete buckle.

I also attached a funny picture that is archived by the Library of Congress which brings it all home. The picture is a little small but depicts the Tax Man being tar and feathered by Patriots while getting tea dumped down his gullet. The Tree of Liberty stands behind with a noose hanging from a branch.

I hope everyone stays safe!

DSC_0327.JPG

Excise.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 17

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds. That No Excise buckle... I think someone else posted about one of those on here. Very cool artifact and probably pretty rare. Congrats on it. I can't imagine being tarred and feathered. It's something that could kill you and if not that, it was certainly super painful.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that thought!!!! Great post and picture thats really cool all you have found at that site the Spanish finds as well and that being linked to the BTP what an awesome find ........Tommy

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent relic hunt and killer buckle find! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions