Cool, Where'd ya dig it? Do you tell them? or are you secretive?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just this evening, like always when showing a find to someone, I got asked where I dug it. I never tell the area, ever unless it is someone I know won't blab. I have been burned too many times, even by people that don't hunt but talk. Granted there are places that I don't care if someone else hunts and many are public type places but I usually don't need help, especially the messy kind of help. I usually get the "What? I won't hunt there" answer but too many people don't think and inadvertently tell someone that So&so found this or that over there at this place and boom, you are covered up. One site, the intruder left holes and trash everywhere and I spent several hours cleaning up and filling holes so no more. DL

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sounds like very good advice! :icon_thumleft:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
It's a mixed bag: If you choose to be a "lone ranger", then there's no tit-for-tat. There's no "pacing" (ie.: camaraderie).

Like yourself, I've gotten baggage by being generous with site tips. And even had something like 5 gold coins get found by others at *my* sites. Ie.: sites that I could have strip-mined myself, If I'd chosen to be stingy. However, I can also say I've gotten about 5 of my gold coins at "tit-for-tat" sites, that others have turned me on to. And some of them were for no other reason that generosity of sharing.

So there's a mixed bag. But ... I will just say this: If you choose to be a "lone-ranger", then ... be prepared that so-too will long-timers "clam up" when you call them and say "where's the action at lately ?"

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I for one keep my mouth shut. Always seems to keep me out of any trouble.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just this evening, like always when showing a find to someone, I got asked where I dug it. I never tell the area, ever unless it is someone I know won't blab. I have been burned too many times, even by people that don't hunt but talk. Granted there are places that I don't care if someone else hunts and many are public type places but I usually don't need help, especially the messy kind of help. I usually get the "What? I won't hunt there" answer but too many people don't think and inadvertently tell someone that So&so found this or that over there at this place and boom, you are covered up. One site, the intruder left holes and trash everywhere and I spent several hours cleaning up and filling holes so no more. DL

I have three local guys that we share info with each other from time to time. With them I don't mind sharing sites that I have researched but are too far from me to hunt, but nearer to my trusted buddies. Even some sites I have hunted, but I think they can do a better job because they are more experienced, I turn them on to these sites. They have done the same for me. But with everyone else, I am very careful about my hunting sites and research. One of my buddies told me a story of a friends property that he had permission to hunt. It was a good site that continued to produce. But somehow a local club got wind of it and secured a club hunt and after the club hunt the owner withdrew the club hunt and my buddy's permission because some members of the club in their haste to compete with other club members did not fill their holes and left all the trash the dug on the ground by the holes. So you can ruin a permission with a slip of the lip. I only allow my buddies to hunt a permission with me hunting with them as a general rule and they are ok with that. And when they get a good find I am excited for them. As a general rule I hunt alone since I only hunt M-F and not on weekends when a lot of the other guys hunt.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
it depends what i found but mostly comes from family land all around where i live and its all private and fenced in.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a mixed bag: If you choose to be a "lone ranger", then there's no tit-for-tat. There's no "pacing" (ie.: camaraderie).

Like yourself, I've gotten baggage by being generous with site tips. And even had something like 5 gold coins get found by others at *my* sites. Ie.: sites that I could have strip-mined myself, If I'd chosen to be stingy. However, I can also say I've gotten about 5 of my gold coins at "tit-for-tat" sites, that others have turned me on to. And some of them were for no other reason that generosity of sharing.

So there's a mixed bag. But ... I will just say this: If you choose to be a "lone-ranger", then ... be prepared that so-too will long-timers "clam up" when you call them and say "where's the action at lately ?"

Actually I do most of my hunting in very public areas, one right beside a very busy highway. I just try not to draw attention to me or what I find. places like my permission, I don't want to lose because of someone leaving a mess. it was bad enough that I nearly did because of wild hogs digging up an area. The superintendent came out to me at one of the older schools to complain about the holes and trash that others had left but he could see that I was already busy cleaning it all up. He was happy that I was doing this and already knew that I wasn't the one responsible but he was still mad. it is a lot different when you know that a person is a responsible person who does it right but at this point, I know very few of them.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loose lips... ruin your spot for you and others. I like to be generous but cautious. I have some friends I share with and they share with me, but there's kind of an unwritten rule that you don't go to the other person's spot without at least asking them. You build a trust with these people. I'm in a club and we'll talk about spots but I never give the actual location when 4 associates are listening. There's pirates everywhere!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill tell only my friends if I find za treasure no one

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually hunt alone and I keep most of my good finds to my self. When someone asks what I found I will only say mostly trash and a few pennies nothing of any value. I still play hockey and the guys have no interest in metal detecting so they never ask.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
i hav'nt filled my treasure chest yet. when i cant squeak anything else in there. then maybe ? where did i bury that dang thing now ?

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
my favorite response is "nuthing old and nothing gold" and yes i did think of that myself ? i'll take a bow. you can use it if ya like. has anyone found me a good luck charm yet ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread