Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Verdict is still out for me. I prefer adventure over drama and so I hope we see less drama and more adventure. :dontknow:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you did notice cooper flipped a switch marked VLF TRANSMIT --in the old film clips they showed -- VLF metal detector anyone ... a long range focused beam metal detector to detect hidden silos and missles -- hum along with high distance photographs to see images in detail ... if the public using google earth --open to the public --can see my car today --what could the military top secret stuff do 50yearts ago --at least as well I bet..

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was disappointed with what was most Likely Fake Drama over not getting along with his Dad and him
refusing to give him the map.
I see in the Previews they are Hunting together.
I also was not interested in all the old time astronauts speculating on what could have been.

that aside. first episode... 90% was boring, am hoping it gets better and that they ignore the Spanish Treasures. Spain will steal them from them anyway.
I say only do the spanish ships in private

Catanza

Mar 27, 2017
South Bend IN
Detector(s) used
At Pro nel Thunder coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's wrong with a newbie? I just like treasure, isn't that the name of the site?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
oh it just that SOME newbies tend to dig holes and not cover them up properly and do other bad things that give treasure hunting a bad name ...older hunters tend to know and respect the RULES..but some of them are bad too

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was disappointed with what was most Likely Fake Drama over not getting along with his Dad and him
refusing to give him the map.
I see in the Previews they are Hunting together.
I also was not interested in all the old time astronauts speculating on what could have been.

that aside. first episode... 90% was boring, am hoping it gets better and that they ignore the Spanish Treasures. Spain will steal them from them anyway.
I say only do the spanish ships in private
Wasn't dad an arrogant alpha henry in real life, or am I thinking of someone else? Anyone know of any sites that'd have old Merv Griffin episodes? That clip sure looked familiar......

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Just watched the show. I wish them luck.
The Father reminds me of a mean, Grumpy Old Man that I know. lol.
Sads669, what no comments from the peanut gallery?

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Episode 2 was pretty Rubbish. The main guy just seems to be living in a dream world. That wreck at the end just near his place looked like something that was pretty well known as a dive site. The idea that he could program the exact site into his GPS from 50 year old spaceman notes and arrive at the exact location is pretty hard to believe. Much more like he had that dive site already in his GPS.

The wife where she claims he was identifying things from looking out the window. Pretty hard to believe you could spot a shipwreck from space with the naked eye..

I find it extremely unlikely that the tech to identify shipwrecks from space existed 50 years ago but does not exist now to be the biggest problem with his whole hypothesis/premise.

The only money that this guy is going to make is what the TV channel is paying him I would think...

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was excited at first hearing about this show, but after viewing two episodes I definitely think something is fishy.

The always questioned why. Why would you go public with this info? Why the terribly scripted drama and bad editing? Why am I going to watch another episode? Because I wanna know.

The Merv footage cracked me up. Dad sure seemed greasy there. But why would Cooper himself have kept a close friendship with someone of such questionable character? He doesnt seem the desperate type. And the interactions between son and father seemed dubiously cheesy. Sure, their realtionship may not have been storybook, but i swear dad was laughing on the inside while he delivered his lines. Every interaction so far has been so shallow. And the son needs a lesson in getting to the point. I did like the discussion rhe the NASA operators. Too bad he blew it.

I dont doubt at all that this secret technology existed. Its accuracy may be in question, but Coopers mapping efforts seem the most credible thing about the show.

Im also sure recovery operations of this magnitude arent cheap. So is discovery network funding all this? Did they offer the best split? Did dad blow his previous millions on brass poles and little white lines? What had they all been doing with this info for the last 50 years?

Damn you Discovery! You better step up your game with this one.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ahhh...secret technology... anything that was secret 50 years ago is off the shelf now.
The laws of physics remain pretty much laws and not suggestions. Nothing that doesn't follow those laws works.
I know there have to be some photographers out there somewhere that can tell me how the numbers on this 'high resolution photography from space using 1963 film cameras' works by the numbers...I am serious about this, I must have some fundamental misunderstanding of how this works.
Now...Gordon Cooper was, as they say at NASA, "a steely eyed missile man". Those test pilots of that era were brilliant engineers on top of having more testosterone than any 10 men ought to have. If you don't think so, read the 'spam in a can" section of his Wikipedia entry at :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Cooper#Project_Mercury - the only things Gordon Cooper had that were bigger than his IQ were his cojones.

According to NASA (https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2008/ch_6.html ) and Hasselblad (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasselblad), the official NASA camera used aboard Cooper's Mercury mission, Atlas 9, was a Hasselblad 500C with Zeiss lenses. This is a medium format camera which uses film that measures at 5.6 x 5.6cm/2 1/4" x 2 1/4". OK...so very good medium format film is said to have a resolution good enough (Film Resolution: The Pixel Count of Film) that an equivalent digital camera would have to produce a 313 megapixel digital image to equal the resolution of Fuji ISO 50 film. (He also had aboard a 35mm hand-held camera for an experiment for the Univ of Minn: https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/camera-robot-35mm-ma-9-faith-7).
OK...now we have some numbers that we can do something with....313,000,000 pixels per frame -that's ~18,000 pixels x 18,000 pixels.
Here is one of the pictures that he took on the Faith 7 mission: https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/535509main_EarthObservations_full.jpg
If you were to take a photo from 120 miles altitude and narrowed your field to 20 miles by 20 miles (which is about 9 degrees wide) 20 miles is 105,600 feet. This means that every pixel-equivalent on these photographs will be (105,600'/18,000 pixels) 58.6' x 58.6' so~ 60 feet square.
The average ballast pile would be less than 4 pixels. I do not believe you can discern a shipwreck ballast pile or scatter pattern from 4 pixels.
I readily agree that if you affix a telephoto lens to a camera you can greatly increase the detail observed, but as you 'zoom in' you reduce your field of view and if Cooper was looking for nuclear threats of some kind, I doubt that he could aim the camera finely enough to capture photos of individual targets. Aiming a high magnification camera lens is no different than using a high magnification riflescope or handheld telescope...it is hard to hold it steady and even harder to aim at something very tiny a long, long ways off.
Did I miss something here? Some photographic hocus-pocus that they failed to mention as I went through school?
please! Someone enlighten me!

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Everything about this show is intriguing, though sketchy.

Darrell's desperateness is awkward. I think that aspect explains why he's doing the show & doing it now. He's at the end of his rope & his wife's fed up with the dream chasing.

As the daughter of a dream-chasing musician (who also was coincidentally on Merv Griffin), I can relate to the family drama. And as treasure hunters, I'm sure many here can as well.

The wife may sing a different tune now that money is rolling in from Discovery & maybe even a motherlode. I'm guessing some of you (Bill?) know the outcome, but are tight-lipped about it. No doubt there's room for many seasons to come no matter what they do/don't find.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Everything about this show is intriguing, though sketchy.

I'm guessing some of you (Bill?) know the outcome, but are tight-lipped about it. No doubt there's room for many seasons to come no matter what they do/don't find.

Nope...not me. I have had nothing to do with this one, other than the premiere party thrown by the lovely Ashley and equally lovable Sal Guttuso, attended by all the unusual suspects and a few that you'd never suspect. :) Great hospitality, food and friends, but not a damned word about what was or wasn't found. I made no effort to pry stories out of the unwilling, as I have no interest in being the cause of someone breaking their word, but had someone volunteered some info I'd have listened carefully and kept it to myself (for possible later use for my own selfish interests, of course). A number of my friends and associates have worked with this show in some capacity and I wish them all the best. I certainly believe Jim Sinclair when he said that they have proceeded to do the surveys, searches and identification/recovery work as it should be done.
I think (hope) that some of the drama subsides as they get out to do some treasure finding and that whoever is doing the post-production editing gets someone with some sense to hep them...HEP them peoples Lord, cause they know not what theys do!
and that's all I've got to say about that.
<<I do hear that there will be an Expedition Unknown episode airing in June on The Travel Channel that has to do with the 1715 Fleet and the Treasure Coast. There may even be footage of people (and boats) that you know, depending on what that post-production team did.>>
Over and outta here.

FLORIDA KEYS PIRATE

Mar 29, 2016
Inverness FL.
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First two episodes were craptastic. But the third one was interesting. He goes to talk with Kim Fisher. I'm still giving it a try for now. New episode tonight on Discovery 5-9.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
...whoever is doing the post-production editing gets someone with some sense to hep them...HEP them peoples Lord, cause they know not what theys do!

Already very annoyed by the repetition, but nothing can compete with Oak Island in that regard.

Finally out there diving with Eric S on board.

Maybe Treasure Tuesday is still...salvageable. :)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok.... now after watching more... I will admit it...

I am now intrigued with this show. heh

AND... I think its the best one yet.

:/ (did I just say that)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was excited at first hearing about this show, but after viewing two episodes I definitely think something is fishy.

The always questioned why. Why would you go public with this info? Why the terribly scripted drama and bad editing? Why am I going to watch another episode? Because I wanna know.

The Merv footage cracked me up. Dad sure seemed greasy there. But why would Cooper himself have kept a close friendship with someone of such questionable character? He doesnt seem the desperate type. And the interactions between son and father seemed dubiously cheesy. Sure, their realtionship may not have been storybook, but i swear dad was laughing on the inside while he delivered his lines. Every interaction so far has been so shallow. And the son needs a lesson in getting to the point. I did like the discussion rhe the NASA operators. Too bad he blew it.

I dont doubt at all that this secret technology existed. Its accuracy may be in question, but Coopers mapping efforts seem the most credible thing about the show.

Im also sure recovery operations of this magnitude arent cheap. So is discovery network funding all this? Did they offer the best split? Did dad blow his previous millions on brass poles and little white lines? What had they all been doing with this info for the last 50 years?

Damn you Discovery! You better step up your game with this one.

I am sure Discovery is paying for the travel ... rooms... etc etc etc.

This is why he contacted the Channel... because his wallet and wife are both running low OR empty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread