Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello friends,
Does anybody have experience and would be willing to share the process of attaching latitude and longitude coordinates to homestead sites shown on an 1875 map? I'm looking to do this with a couple local rural townships close to where I live. I don't need road/street names as I know them. I need actual coordinates that get me close to the old home steads shown on these maps, I'm sure there is a way to do this, i just don't know what that is. I really don't want to go meandering around in 500-1000 acre field looking for the debris field. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much, Metal Illness / Bill Clark

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you tried locating them on Google earth?
Jim

OP
OP
Metal Illness

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim, when I'm looking at these maps (from historic mapworks) there is an option to overlay, but this just does a fade of the roads and streets. Do you know if I'm missing something. i have done what you are suggesting, but that requires an exact address, which I don't have.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maps that old won't be accurate enough to do overlays and picking GPS coords from. Old county maps that showed where the homes / schools / churches were just placing them in their approximate place on the map. IF you know the general location, your best bet is to just to take some time and wander the area. Any place a home was will have bits of glass, china, crockery, and iron scattered around the immediate location. That will give you a much better indication of where to start hunting.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you use Google Earth, the latitude and longitude are displayed at the bottom of the screen wherever your mouse pointer is pointed on the image. Take that info and put it in your GPS. The more you zoom into the image the more accurate the coordinates.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Churches, schools and similar structure are usually found on small plots of ground (versus farms, etc.) Back in the day, the location of land ownership was shown on survey maps delineated in 'metes and bounds' (lengths and angles). The survey was then used as the legal description for the property. The Planning Department of your township, county, etc. should have these old deeds archived. Finding the legal description in the deed (say, for a church) will be shown on the title or tax rolls, then determining their location today will get you very close to where the structure was located.
Don....

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you get on Google Earth....not Google Maps, you should be able to find enough landmarks (creeks, hills, etc) to enable you to pin down about where the the place was. Then you can use the GPS coordinates in Google Earth to place it on the ground. If there are no landmarks that can be distinguished, then you're going to have to do it through a lot of research...not GPS.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions