Coppa Field...

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
I enjoy this web sight, and find that I am always learning a lot from some of the other postings people have put up here over the past year or so. I guess that there are people who use this as a sight to show "what a great find they have", or out brag the next person. I , however, decided to put these photos up for no other reason other than to let others enjoy a few coins /relics that I stumbled upon about two weeks ago.
When I go to detecting I like to look for a spot that looks right. It could be the narrow width of a valley, the slope of a hill, the promentory of a hilltop, the joining of a valley to another valley, etc. I enjoy hiking and sometimes I get ridiculed because I walk sooooo far. Sometimes just for the fun of it, I'll go walking all day just looking, and thinking. Not for what is there, but for what might have been there.
A few weeks ago I found a spot that "just looked right" for a gathering of some kind. Well, it was. I was a bit astonished, but also somewhat dissapointed. No silver, but lots of coppa. It was a lot of fun, and someday maybe I'll have the opportunity to go back, but in the meantime I have enjoyed documenting and sharing these finds with others :) HH M.

Attachments

• DSC01632.jpg
    DSC01632.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 784
  • DSC01633.jpg
    DSC01633.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 783
  • DSC01634.jpg
    DSC01634.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 782
  • DSC01635.jpg
    DSC01635.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 782
  • Coppas 2.jpg
    Coppas 2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 771
Upvote 0

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Awesome Coppas!
I had a site like that just across the street and I did not know about it till earlyer this year.
There was a silver there but it was very small. I still plan to go back over it when it is cut in the fall.
Here is a link: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,157710.0.html
Was this place overgrown or not?
HH,
Donny

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Michellets said:
I enjoy this web sight, and find that I am always learning a lot from some of the other postings people have put up here over the past year or so. I guess that there are people who use this as a sight to show "what a great find they have", or out brag the next person. I , however, decided to put these photos up for no other reason other than to let others enjoy a few coins /relics that I stumbled upon about two weeks ago.
When I go to detecting I like to look for a spot that looks right. It could be the narrow width of a valley, the slope of a hill, the promentory of a hilltop, the joining of a valley to another valley, etc. I enjoy hiking and sometimes I get ridiculed because I walk sooooo far. Sometimes just for the fun of it, I'll go walking all day just looking, and thinking. Not for what is there, but for what might have been there.
A few weeks ago I found a spot that "just looked right" for a gathering of some kind. Well, it was. I was a bit astonished, but also somewhat dissapointed. No silver, but lots of coppa. It was a lot of fun, and someday maybe I'll have the opportunity to go back, but in the meantime I have enjoyed documenting and sharing these finds with others :) HH M.

Whats wrong with wanting to bost or brag at our good luck and smart hunting?
By the way nice finds

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT finds....Love the Conn. coppers. CONGRATS! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Michellets

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
DJ, the area was pretty overgrown. I always wanted a Connecticut Coppa, so I was happy with finding three. One of the Conn. coppas looks to be a miss-strike.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man o man - You cleaned up! Sweeeeet, good job.

B

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Michellets said:
DJ, the area was pretty overgrown. I always wanted a Connecticut Coppa, so I was happy with finding three. One of the Conn. coppas looks to be a miss-strike.

If it was overgrown, then I would go back in the fall when the weeds die down, there should be more to find ;D
HH,
Donny

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Dissapointed" and your finds from this site do not belong together!!!

Congratulations on the awesome finds. :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think of it as bragging, but when I find something great I like to share it. I want to give others the inspiration and passion to get out and find something Great as well. At times in my MDing in the past, I've needed to just get online and look at others finds to get the passion back again.

Those are some INCREDIBLE copper recoveries. Frequently places like that won't appear on any maps, or in printed records. I think your method is a FINE one--because even if you occasionally find a spot like that, your finds more than make up for any perceived inconsistency. Also, it sounds like you thoroughly enjoy just being outside--so that is fulfillment in and of itself.

Bravo!

-Buckleboy

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
I don't think of it as bragging, but when I find something great I like to share it. I want to give others the inspiration and passion to get out and find something Great as well. At times in my MDing in the past, I've needed to just get online and look at others finds to get the passion back again.

Those are some INCREDIBLE copper recoveries. Frequently places like that won't appear on any maps, or in printed records. I think your method is a FINE one--because even if you occasionally find a spot like that, your finds more than make up for any perceived inconsistency. Also, it sounds like you thoroughly enjoy just being outside--so that is fulfillment in and of itself.

Bravo!

-Buckleboy
Very well said BB. I was about to type a very similar response then I scrolled down to see that you had the same idea. We all need inspiration from time to time and this website does that for me sometimes as well. You made some excellent recoveries from that spot Michellets. :thumbsup: Recoveries that anyone would be proud of.

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
Michellets said:

Nice group of coins. I have hunted some overgrown sites and used a 4x4 piece of 1/2 inch plywood. If it is just grass and not sapplings, just step on the plywood and detect and move the plywood and repeat.

Les

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Michellets AMAZING finds !!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You have the knack and the hiking is good exercise !

WTG on all those coppas and the batwing buckle is fantastic !

Derek

OP
OP
Michellets

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Ahhh yes, I find myself also visiting T-net for inspiration as well. Also, I doubt I would have known what a bat-wing buckle was unless I saw one here. I also enjoy the buckle web sight you folks have turned me onto for dating buckles:
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ceejays_site/pages/buckletitlepage.htm
And then there's always the help with button identification that people have helped with too. Keep it up everyone, oh, and BTW the idea of using a thin sheet of plywood to knock the grass down is a great idea, thanks, maybe someday I'll need to use it. HH M. :thumbsup:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know how I missed this post earlier, but congrats on it and your subsequent finds!

Marc in VA

Jun 27, 2003
Stafford, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab Equinox 800, 3 Minelab XS Explorers
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Boast all you want. Those kind of sites dont come around very often. Judging by the Connecticuts, the George the seconds and the LCs you are on some seriously old ground. I would hammer the heck out of that site. Congrats!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread