Copper anyone?

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
capy325 said:
Since I've been such a good boy this year, I have it on good authority that Santa will be bringing me a ryedale! I do believe I may need to add onto the house as I plan on removing every single copper cent from circulation on this side of the Mississippi river! :thumbsup:

Love my Ryedale!

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
So which side of the Mississippi are you on? Left or right? Hoping you're not on the left side.. my competitors are growing along with the Portland Mint guy..LOL.. pennies boxes might soon turn into all Zincolns.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
SFBayArea said:
So which side of the Mississippi are you on? Left or right? Hoping you're not on the left side.. my competitors are growing along with the Portland Mint guy..LOL.. pennies boxes might soon turn into all Zincolns.
at least it would be easier to carry like 10 cent boxes from the bank :laughing7:
oh and good luck on dominating the whole states worth of copper cents 8)

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
To be honest, I can only do a box of pennies per day max. It's not much but it's draining. So 7 boxes per week and thus 30 boxes a month and 30x25 = $750 per month. Averaging 20% coppers and around 50% profit from it. One can make $75 per month on copper cents if you do a box of cents a day. I'm better off finding a day job. One also gets worn out from doing that many boxes so I haven't in reality done that many yet. Most of the work is to package the Zincolns to dump or spend. I'm not making a dent in the penny population as I would hope to do.

One a sidenote, I've looked throught about $1500 in pennies last few years yet no 1950 wheatie. I wonder how much longer the streak can go before I get one.

Ltrain

Sep 13, 2010
SFBayArea said:
To be honest, I can only do a box of pennies per day max. It's not much but it's draining. So 7 boxes per week and thus 30 boxes a month and 30x25 = $750 per month. Averaging 20% coppers and around 50% profit from it. One can make $75 per month on copper cents if you do a box of cents a day. I'm better off finding a day job. One also gets worn out from doing that many boxes so I haven't in reality done that many yet. Most of the work is to package the Zincolns to dump or spend. I'm not making a dent in the penny population as I would hope to do.

One a sidenote, I've looked throught about $1500 in pennies last few years yet no 1950 wheatie. I wonder how much longer the streak can go before I get one.

With a Ryedale you could probably do 10-15 boxes a day, easy.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Ltrain said:
SFBayArea said:

With a Ryedale you could probably do 10-15 boxes a day, easy.

That is true, however the part that takes up all the time, is the re-rolling and counting cents to dump. One of my banks does allow me to make a deposit in coins and they count them and can credit my account days later. However, I just don't trust them. Most of the time when I pick up dime boxes from Brinks, they have rolls that are short. With that in mind, I just don't trust them to count my change and give me the correct number in deposit. That being said, I am forced to re-roll them for dumping and spending which takes up a ton of time. Wish I had a counting and coin wrap rolling machine that does all the work for me.

OP
OP
C

capy325

Apr 9, 2008
I gotta say if I had to re-roll my dumps I'd give up this hobby and take up golf. I'm currently searching 8 boxes of halves and 12 boxes of dimes a week. When the ryedale gets here I plan on adding 8 to 10 boxes (bags if I can get them) of cents to my weekly rounds. Every bank in the area has a coin counter and with enough accounts I don't have to burden any of them more than once a week. :icon_thumleft:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
capy325 said:
I gotta say if I had to re-roll my dumps I'd give up this hobby and take up golf. I'm currently searching 8 boxes of halves and 12 boxes of dimes a week. When the ryedale gets here I plan on adding 8 to 10 boxes (bags if I can get them) of cents to my weekly rounds. Every bank in the area has a coin counter and with enough accounts I don't have to burden any of them more than once a week. :icon_thumleft:
You are a lucky hunter to have that many banks with counters. Lots of banks in my area, but maybe 5% have counters. When I inquire why not, they reply that "we just can't justify the cost".

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
silver spoon said:
im just curious whats so special about the 1950 wheaty!is it an error or something or is it low mintage!

People are lucky to have coin counters at their banks.. I haven't heard of any bank that has coin counters in my area otherwise I would be using them. Thus I have to continue to count and re-roll dumps.

As far as the 1950 wheatie, it's not special. I'm just commenting on how I still haven't gotten one after looking through $1500 in pennies over the years. I'm on the west coast so certain philly coins are harder to come by based on my location while I find "S" mint wheaties frequently. I'm sure if I was on the east coast, I would be itching to find "S" mint wheats.

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SFBayArea said:
........As far as the 1950 wheatie, it's not special. I'm just commenting on how I still haven't gotten one after looking through $1500 in pennies over the years. I'm on the west coast so certain philly coins are harder to come by based on my location while I find "S" mint wheaties frequently. I'm sure if I was on the east coast, I would be itching to find "S" mint wheats.

Just got a 1950 S wheatie out of a roll and remembered this thread. You'll hit one soon I'm sure.

HH

Nick

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CardsNCoins said:
Just got a 1950 S wheatie out of a roll and remembered this thread. You'll hit one soon I'm sure.

HH

Nick

Amazing, I just got another 1950 S from the same box. SFBayArea, if you want one just PM me your address and it's yours.

HH

Nick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions