Copper Artifact Database - your finds needed!

Monette

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to be curator at the Copper Culture State Park Museum, the oldest copper burial site in the nation, where I started the on-going research of the copper trade network and evolution of the copper tooling industry. I am gathering information on artifacts found for this database, to be compiled into a book as the most complete source of copper tools in the U.S.

I'd like your help! Please email me your copper finds - what they are and the approximate (not exact) location of where they were found. In exchange I will acknowledge you in the book to whatever level of privacy or authority you desire.

Find out more about me at Home - Monette Bebow-Reinhard - I run the Archaic Copper Newsletter, and the subscripition is free.

Thanks!
Monette

Upvote 0

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Monette. Was interested in your post. Checked out your blog/webpage and found it to be very interesting. Hope to get up Houghton/Hancock way this summer.

OP
OP
M

Monette

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great place to visit! Anything you want to know about copper, I can try to answer! Let me know when/if you find anything. This is very important stuff.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi. I found these two copper spear points in South Western Ontario Canada. They are about 3" long, if you could tell me about what age that would be great. P6080071.JPG

OP
OP
M

Monette

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing these Ontario finds! You probably won't find anyone who will be able to date them for you. I'm not up on my typology, but these appear to be the standard leaf stemmed points. They have found evidence of a Hopewell village in Ontario, which would date them between 500 BCE and 500 CE. But they could be older. Or newer. They aren't ridged, right? Ridged points we date back as much as 2000 BCE because of where they'd been found in context with a burial. We need to date organic material found with the copper in order to assess age. Don't forget, copper is the world's first recycleable material, and these kinds of tools could be handed down through the generations. So it's hard to say how old any of them could be. Hopefully someday there will be way to date the level of copper salt on the surface - so never ever clean your copper artifact. Leave the green on.

OP
OP
M

Monette

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to email me directly at [email protected] I have more information about Ontario I can share with you.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I will send you a message , thanks.

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this copper celt in Escanaba Michigan. 16-18 inches deep about 100 yards from Lake Michigan. It is about 6 inches long. Sold it to a museum.

Attachments

• g000258000000000000bf5b1a80216d13f6fa115779182d19cb1668a1a3.jpg
    g000258000000000000bf5b1a80216d13f6fa115779182d19cb1668a1a3.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 390
OP
OP
M

Monette

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please don't be. I don't have to share names in my finds, just say so and it'll be anonymous. It's so important than finds get logged, it doesn't matter to me who found them. Email me at [email protected]

OP
OP
M

Monette

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great one, Ryan - thanks for sharing it. It could be as old as Hopewell, or even older. Hard to say without more context, such as a burial site.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this awl on private property near the Salmon River estuary and shore of Lake Ontario in Pulaski, NY. The Salmon River has been an important fishing and trade center for a very long time. cc3.JPG cc2.JPG cc1.JPG

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the sort of thing that drives archeologists to make laws prohibiting metal detectors.

OP
OP
M

Monette

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Monette. Was interested in your post. Checked out your blog/webpage and found it to be very interesting. Hope to get up Houghton/Hancock way this summer.

Did you go? Did you find anything? Wish I could spend some time there, but I'm lousy with a metal detector!

OP
OP
M

Monette

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the sort of thing that drives archeologists to make laws prohibiting metal detectors.

Yes, it does - especially when the people don't keep track of where they find it, and sell it to the highest bidder, and all context is lost. That's why I'm building a database that gives archaeologists what they will need to put together a trade network based on these finds. Did you ever read Finders Keepers by Craig Childs? I recommend it - it puts this whole metal detecting and artifact finding culture in perspective. I promise anonymity because I don't want items buried in someone's closet because they're afraid to get into trouble. yes, then maybe they shouldn't be out there. But ... oh, check the book out. I won't go through all the arguments here.

OP
OP
M

Monette

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone who's interested, please email me at [email protected] to get a copy of the new Archaic Copper newsletter, free by email, simply let me know you want a PDF copy. New one coming out the end of this week.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually made it up there a few weeks ago. Left the detector at home and went out to isle royale np. Got to see some cool primitive items. Got to check out the island lidar plots and plotted shorelines back to several thou years ago! Really interesting. They are still finding a lot of copper items dating back kilo years.
Sent from my SX-SP715A using Tapatalk 2

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You guy's don't have to worry about contacting Monette. She will keep you and your personal information totally anonymous. I recently contacted her about a Spearhead I found and I can tell you all that she is the real deal and you have nothing to worry about. This information is being gathered for a very important wok on the Copper Culture and it's People. I would urge people to do in what my opinion is the right and decent thing to do in helping her with her work. I would like to remind all the people that are only concerned with artifact value and monetary gains that sometimes the most "valuable" aspect of a find is the information itself and not the pay out from E-Bay. Please find it in yourself to help her to help us all learn more about this fascinating People and their Culture. Much love from Canada EH.

Chris:headbang: IMG_1364.JPG IMG_1365.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread