Copper Axe

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Continued my recuperation yesterday afternoon. Had a couple of hours trying the Deus on P5. This is recommended for pasture, to find larger very deep objects. The field as yielded hundreds of coins for me, but nothing older than Victorian. The first 10 mins was silent, perhaps I had found all there was to be found. Then up turned a badly corrode George III cartwheel penny 1797. The penny came up from deep, this gave me encouragement. Another worn George III penny soon followed. The next hour was quiet, apart from a couple of more modern coins. I decided to move to the highest part of the field, from here you get a great view of the area. A thumping signal resulted in this little copper/bronze axe/chisel. It's only 6cm long, it's broken on one end. A very interesting little find. Certainly impressed with program 5. The axe could be very old.:icon_scratch:

Attachments

• IMG_6751.jpg
    IMG_6751.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_6752.jpg
    IMG_6752.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_6753.jpg
    IMG_6753.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_6754.jpg
    IMG_6754.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 17
OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Hopefully next time you pull out a fine unambiguous bronze palstave or socketed axe! You're allowed to keep those over there provided they aren't in a cache, right?
Never had a complete one plumbata, had two axe blades though. Guess where I'm going now for a couple of hours.:laughing7:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty jealous really, all I can do is hope to buy them cheap from Europeans with poor English skills. :sadsmiley:

Good luck finding an intact one! :thumbsup:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If it actually dates to the Copper Age, it could possibly be a Copper hoe made late in the period before the use of Bronze. However, as Cru pointed out, the head shows signs of blows as in hammering, so I am wondering if it might be a Copper tool for stripping bark and strips from trees to build shelters.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions