Copper Cents: Someone tell me if I should or should not?

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its been a while since I have seen a post concerning hoarding copper cents. Well, I have went back and forth on the idea--and it being spring break an all--I bit the bullet and purchased 4 boxes of cents.

I still really don't know why I did. I do love wheats, hope to pull my first steel cent out of a box (did finally find one from a dump magnet--an idea here on the forum), or an Indian (only found 1 in over a year and it was bent). But, I have never kept the cooper cents.

Are we just waiting until the US Government lifts the ban on copper cent melting? :dontknow:

Is this truly a possibility, or do I just need to dump all these cents? And, how many cents make a pound, anyway? It really will not hurt my CRH funds, but Mr. Apush kind of looked at me funny this evening when I dragged in 4 boxes of cents. He first words were, "Wow, what is all of that? :laughing7: Pennies????" I said, no honey, these are "cents." Look at the reverse of the coin--nope, it don't say "penny." A lesson I learned early on from a veteran coin collector par none.

Just scratching my head,
apush

Upvote 0

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Someone tell me if I should or should not?

There are plenty of sellers on eBay selling copper cents for about 1.6X face, but I have just been socking them away. I figure this could be akin to someone who had the foresight in the 1960s to tuck the silver coinage away. If the melt ban is ever lifted then I'll decide to either melt, or hold and see how high copper may go. Worst case scenario is nothing ever comes of it, and I get my face value back, and all I'm out is my sorting time.

So far I have $425+ in copper cents tucked away, and about 1,100 wheat cents.

To answer your question regarding weight, 147 copper cents make a pound by overall weight, but 156 copper cents would make 1 pound of copper since 1 cent is 95% copper.

If you have any other questions do not hesitate to ask.

HH

Nick

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can hoard them and wait for the melt ban to be lifted (and it will), or you can sell them now for a profit. Have a look on eBay and you can see what they're currently selling for.

I've been debating on getting a Ryedale and doing it myself for a few months now.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Even if you don't think that the melt ban will be lifted any time soon, there are enough people buying on Craigslist and Ebay to make it worth your time to save out the copper.

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion is it's totally worth it to sock away Copper cents. They're just a penny each, and according to coinflation, they're worth about 2.5x+ face. Unfortunately, Ebay sellers only get about 1.6x face. Plus, I really don't think it's worth it to hand sort 4 boxes of cents just for the copper, unless you spend $500 on a Ryedale which can sort 18,000(a bit over 7 boxes) an hour. I currently have 9 rolls of Copper cents, but usually only get cents when the bank(s) has nothing else and I really have the craving to search coins.

corey237

Dec 27, 2010
The nice thing about the copper cents is that it is win/win. If the ban is lifted you can sell them above face depending on the melt value. If it is not lifted you just take them to the bank and get your money back (which might be a hassle if you have a lot). One of the few investments you can't really lose on.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay guys, call me dense.

If a significant number of cents are melted, then won't the value of the cent go up? Rarity, Scarcity? Or, are there so many millons of cents, it really won't matter? I am thinking along the lines of supply and demand. Less there is, more people want.

apush :read2:

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's my $.02 for what it's worth...

I think the penny will be taken out of circulation in the next 5 years. I think I read it costs something like 1.8 cents to make a cent at the mint. In 5 years I'm sure that cost will double. I believe that the cent will be retired and that all transactions will be rounded to the nearest nickel. When pennies are retired you will be able to melt them all you want. Illegal or not, I'm sure there are a lot of people melting pennies right now.

I also recently read an article that there is some talk of retiring the dollar bill and replacing it with a coin. The treasury would save a ton of money by not having to replace worn out notes all the time.

baltax

Mar 9, 2011
yea the penny is toast. Im just a poor college kid so I dont save my copper cents. I dont have much extra money. I had a few hundred extra dollars from school money, so that was my starting bankroll for this. buy dump buy dump.... thats all I do lol.

But defintatly worth saving if you have a fast way of sorting and dont have to worry about the money situation like me.

The dollar bill is looking at being retired due to the cotton in the bill. cottons price has rose so much the mint cannot keep up with cost of replacing old bills. coinage is cheaper if certain materials are used.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
apush said:

If a significant number of cents are melted, then won't the value of the cent go up? Rarity, Scarcity? Or, are there so many millons of cents, it really won't matter? I am thinking along the lines of supply and demand. Less there is, more people want.

Well since right now you cant melt them so when and if they lift the ban my guess is following that - the price [or what the junk man is willing to pay] may go down short term due to the all of a sudden flood of pennies into the copper market.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
apush said:

I think that other than key dates, there are more than enough Lincoln cents to go around when/if the melt ban is lifted. I think it will be like Washington Quarters, if you aren't buying a key date, they only are worth melt. And the higher the price of copper is, the less it is worth collector wise. Before the astronomical rise in silver prices, even worn, non key-date Barbers were usually worth a bit of a premium over melt, but now, most of them are easily found in worn grades for no more than melt, despite the fact that they are much older.

engine 823

Dec 27, 2007
Waynesburg, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, ACE 150
I bought a ryedale and am making money selling on the front end. About 6 hours a week is bringing in 300- 400 dollars a month. I'm loving my ryedale. Totally stopped picking up my other coins. Just cents for me!

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other important thing I didn't mention is hoarding them now makes sense because the percentage of them still in circulation is high. You should find 500 to 750 copper cents per box unless there is a major hoarder your area.

I'd rather be ahead of the curve while the percentages are still high.

HH

Nick

dasherhunting

Jul 8, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
I have sold many lots on ebay and save some I figure that is that many I dont have to dump. I hand sort them also I avg. selling a box of 34 lbs about every week. I now sell to someone I sold to on ebay actually in corpus christi texas, as soon as I have a box email them the pay with paypal and avoid all the ebay fees. Plus they are buying them for what I was selling to them on ebay lol. Hope this helps some. :coffee2:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
apush said:

Probably a little, but not much. I don't think they'd ever be worth above melt (unless the price of copper REALLY drops) similar to common date silver Roosevelt dimes.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not broken down and get full boxes of cents yet. But I do get a roll now and then for my daughter to go thur for her penny collection. We will sort the copper pennies out. We have a full size milk can and that is where we put all the copper one. Will hate to see what it weights when it is full. So I would say if you have the time a space for them go for it. When ever you can double your money I say it is worth it.......Matt

Irish Finn

Mar 31, 2007
Chicago Fed District
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was watching 60 minutes on cnbc a couple of weeks ago and the nickel cost more to mint than it is worth like the penny. The only way the penny & nickel go bye-bye is when everything goes to plastic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread