Copper cob. ID?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
As suggested, I'm starting several new threads, all pieces came from the same Ebay source in southern California, where they were said to have been found near the top of a ridge overlooking the Pacific. None show water damage to my eye, but maybe others can see damage.

Forget the photos identified as silver 5: I'm calling this a copper piece, based on the sound it makes. One side shows an S with a line through it, almost a $. Coin is larger than a nickel, smaller than a quarter in diameter. About twice the thickness of a silver dime, with irregularly cut sides. I'm saying it is a cob coin of some kind. I haven't really cleaned this coin yet, just brushed it with acetone and Q-tips. Color is dark chocolate brown similar to an 1802 Large Cent I also have on my desk right now.

From what I remember, the original seller said these coins were found eroding out of a hillside after some bad Southern California wildfires, maybe in the Los Angeles hills or further north. Found with a metal detector. At least 40 were in the original grouping, but I only purchased 11 of them.

Any help with identification, date, or kind would be appreciated.

Attachments

• silver5.JPG
    silver5.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 275
  • silver5a.JPG
    silver5a.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 270

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions