✅ SOLVED Copper coin?

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot
Picture0010.jpgPicture0011.jpg

Found today at an old school house. I think I see an "N" what do you see? Sorry size is not visible in photos, I'd guess around 30mm (half dollar size). It's soaking in distilled water so I'll update with better pictures tomorrow. Thanks for the help W.W

Yepper you got a copper. Not sure what kind though .....

Upvote 0
It may be a Vermont copper. I'm not sure if the variety is quite right in this comparison but it is to give the idea of it -

Attachments

• vermontcompare.jpg
    vermontcompare.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 119
Upvote 0
Either a Vermont or Connecticut, can't be sure which. Nice find, hope you can get more detail.

Upvote 0
It looks like it could be the second style of Britannia, William III copper maybe? That style of William would be 1698-1701 if I remember correctly, awesome find! I'm guessing Vermont copper but also trying see if there is anything else it could be.

2526654_140407144854_7546_(6).JPG

Upvote 0
After seeing the OP's coin compared to a William I think it's not, the hand is at a different angle, count me in for it being Vermont!

I eve see "INDE" on the left of the coin.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for help with the I.D, I found it in VT so that would make sense but I could also see it being a CT. This is my first large copper and oldest coin I've ever found! Here are a few more pics after an overnight soak and rinse. What other cleaning methods could I use?

Picture0001.jpgPicture0012.jpgPicture0002.jpg

Upvote 0
I am having trouble making the obverse lettering match either Connecticut or Vermont but it is hard to make out. Try taking a nice smooth shiny piece of aluminum foil and kind of make a rubbing with it. This often shows detail that is hard to see otherwise.

Upvote 0
Auctori.jpg

I think it says "AUCTORI" but still can't tell if it's CT or VT ???, if it's a Vermont then it must be the 1786 Baby Head.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The location of Inde doesn't line up with the branch hand right for it to be a baby head. The one visible word would be the one that matches both Vermont and Connecticut!

Upvote 0
2048915-019o.jpg2048915-019r.jpg26447613_31753856_2200.jpg
Here's a picture of a 1786 baby head for comparison looks like some strikes line up differently.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yup, on the found coin the E of INDE is slightly above the hand.

Upvote 0
After researching this coin and with everyone's comments, I've determined that the coin I found is a Connecticut Copper 1788, Mailed Bust Facing Right.

1788%20COPPER%20Connecticut%20CopperMailed%20Bust%20Right.jpg1788%20COPPER%20Connecticut%20CopperMailed%20Bust%20Right2.jpg

I'm marking the thread solved but please let me know if I might be wrong.
Thanks, WW

Upvote 0
Well, it definitely isn't the Miller 2D Connecticut you posted but could be some other variety. There are four years and over 340 varieties of Connecticut coppers with very minor differences between some of them. Vermont coppers have somewhere around 40 varieties. I just don't see enough detail to say for sure.

Upvote 0
The Whitman Encyclopedia of Colonial and Early American coins by Q. David Bowers is the most commonly available good reference book for colonial coins. It is relatively inexpensive too. The redbook is very limited on colonial information.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back