Copper Heavy box of Cents!

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Picked up an interesting box of cents the other day.
At first look it was apparently an older box- been on the shelf a while.
Youngest coin in the box was 1991- none newer.
Got to sorting and ended with at least 80-85% copper pre 83's.
(Big pile is copper, little pile is 82's, and those in the tray are zinc 83'+.)
Then sorted out the 82's for copper / zinc varieties and found that of the whole pile- only 8 were zinc (btw the one on the scale was a more recent zinc-just to check the scale- did'nt think about it until after I took the pic...)

Attachments

• copper box.JPG
    copper box.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 70
  • coppers 82.JPG
    coppers 82.JPG
    246.8 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool! seems to me like a big copper dump that all got funneled into the hopper at once. Someone saved up a bunch and probably needed the cash. Either that or an old box as you said. I think it's the former though because of the high 83 copper percentage

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! How old was the box, do you have any clue? Is it possible to post a picture of the old box? I've only seen "recent" packed boxes dating as far back as 2005, never anything older, especially from 1991 or earlier.

HH
Buff

OP
OP
1more4me

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
BB- Didn't think about taking a pic of the box but it was the same as the others this particular bank used as long as I can remember- They have their own coin machine and roller and box their own. Though it did have like 20+ inventory marks on it and corners and edges were quite ragged- Your assumption is probably correct. Because--- CRHLover- it was also oddly shy of Wheaties for such and old collection- maybe 18. Little pile bottom left of pic.-
So it may have been a piece of a copper dump. Their machine collecs to the big metal hoppers that hold maybe $100 in cents- then they dump those right into the roller.
Just to see- I got two more boxes from there today- the first of those so far has been no better than the normal average- maybe 15%...
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread