copper pennies

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL....since we are all on the subject of homemade sorters I too have joined the quest.

My father being a master electrican has looked over this bunch of parts I have compiled.

We are in the process of ballancing the coils of all 3 of my CC-16E comparitors. The strange thing is from the data sheet, we are not seeing the 35uADC or the 50uADC stuff they say. (he knows more than me). We are disecting the data as we go and learning how this thing operates. He took one of them home tonight to see what he could find out.

To ballance the coils, do any of you use a test plastic coin?

We plan to use 2 or 3 of these comparitors in series and maybe make a logic circuit so the coin has to pass 2 of 3 before it gets rejected or accepted (not sure what way will be best...thats the next beta test).

As to powering the hopper and the comparitors, my father put together a power supply that has an output of 24v dc and a regulated lead from the same transformer that gives me the 12v dc.

After a quick adjustment of the coin knife and the dime shelf wheel installed, it spits out dimes in a hurry. (using a IGT S2000 hopper).

Just before he came over to the house, I noticed a pickup moduel on the hopper. Not sure if its IR or what, but dad said if I wanted to use that to count the coins I could. He brought me a Redington counter to use with the hopper. This also has a manuel setting for what ever I want to count to with a built in relay. I plan on using this to count coins with as well. Gives me an advantage on the dime boxes my one bank lets me search and bring back (rolled).

As for the coin chute, Im thinking on using plexiglass with strips of aluminum bar stock on both sides. I can heat the plexi with a heat gun and bend the aluminum to match the pitch. I should also mention the bar stock is just a tad larger than the dime thickness. This should give the coin a nice path to travel. I also plan on placing a diversion lever on the track for counting.

Big project, but so far only have about 95.00 in parts. Cant wait to pump out the dimes with this. I hope to push about 2000.00 in dimes a week. We will see.

Novapax

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Novapax said:
We are in the process of ballancing the coils of all 3 of my CC-16E comparitors. The strange thing is from the data sheet, we are not seeing the 35uADC or the 50uADC stuff they say. (he knows more than me). We are disecting the data as we go and learning how this thing operates. He took one of them home tonight to see what he could find out.

After checking with CMI, I use a plastic button about the size of the resident coin. MUCH cheaper than the test eqt. offered by CMI.

Did you try using the size of the wave amplitude on your oscilloscope for air balancing the coils?

Glad to hear the Plexi is working for you. It's easy to work with but watch the brittleness (a word :icon_scratch:). Mine DOES break easily. In place of the Plexi, I have substituted thinner plastic that that can be found at the big box stores like Menards and Home Depot. The plastic is easily formed with a heat gun and much more forgiving when bent, drilled, or cut than the Plexi.

Your hopper might have arrived with an optics unit near the top where the coins exit the hopper. If that is what you're referring to for counting, have your dad rig up another 5V (?) regulated voltage line coming off the 12V line. You'll fry the optics unit with too many volts.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Novapax said:
We are in the process of ballancing the coils of all 3 of my CC-16E comparitors. The strange thing is from the data sheet, we are not seeing the 35uADC or the 50uADC stuff they say. (he knows more than me).

Are you referring to the ... balance?
I believe that those meter readings you cite are .... If you are using your own meter/scope, you are looking for about ... The actual reading is ....

Novapax said:

I've found .... I suppose one of those ...

Last edited:

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
madwest said:
Are you referring to the NULL balance?
I believe that those meter readings you cite are specific to CMI's test station. If you are using your own meter/scope, you are looking for about 100mV - 200mv. The actual reading is not important to the procedure though. What is important is to achieve the minimum.

Morning madwest,
Should the reading "100mV - 200mV", or minimum, correspond to the minimum wave amplitude on the O-scope screen? I have been trying to balance the coils with a really old Heathkit scope and the wave amplitude decreases only when I fully tighten down the adjustment screws. In another words, I bottom out the adjustment screws which seems totally wrong.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Or, instead of becoming scrap metal collectors, you could actually sort by hand, check for valuable varieties and become knowledgeable coin collectors........ :dontknow:

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
BCD11 said:
Morning madwest,
Should the reading "100mV - 200mV", or minimum, correspond to the minimum wave amplitude on the O-scope screen? I have been trying to balance the coils with a really old Heathkit scope and the wave amplitude decreases only when I fully tighten down the adjustment screws. In another words, I bottom out the adjustment screws which seems totally wrong.

When you say bottom out, do you mean ...? I believe that they are intended to .... What you are doing is adjusting the ... to be perfectly .... As you turn one ...., it tips.... If you tip it too far.... If turning one screw causes ... turn the other screw until .... If you turn ... you can start over. Maybe ...

For what we are all doing, ....I suppose if one..., you could see some improvement ....

Last edited:

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
GPURS said:
Or, instead of becoming scrap metal collectors, you could actually sort by hand, check for valuable varieties and become knowledgeable coin collectors........ :dontknow:

My approach is to . . . I know with high certainty . . .

. . . the Zn, I understand that approach and . . .

Last edited:

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Madwest!
When I say "bottoming out" I mean the adjusting screws will not turn clockwise anymore, similar to turning a bolt in a threaded hole until it reaches the bottom of the hole and won't turn any further.

Also, thanks for explaining that balancing is done to get the coils parallel. I thought it had to do with size of the gap in the two coils.

Nice to have someone around that knows what they're doing AND CAN EXPLAIN IT.

Again, thank you.

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, by the time I read the part about the test station and the plastic coin, my father had it figured out and balanced.

All the info posted he found out during the day working with the unit. He also said that using an o-scope is not much better than using the volt meter.

He adjusted the unit so well, it works great for sorting dimes.

We were thinking on using two or three comparators in series but he said the way it is now we wouldnt have to.

Thanks for all the help bcd11 and madwest.

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
VICTORY!!

Way to go Novapax and dad. I'm glad you got it up and running.

OP
OP
justicious

justicious

Jan 22, 2012
Delray Beach, Florida
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
tn

got this today but I can not test it because no power...

Ryedale

Feb 3, 2007
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
justicious said:

Full retail yes....especially when you include Ebay or PayPal....cut them out send a check or cash and save 20%.
Sorry if this is advertising, but hopefully it's well recieved. Just ask for the T-Net discount ;)

Andy

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Ryedale said:
justicious said:

Full retail yes....especially when you include Ebay or PayPal....cut them out send a check or cash and save 20%.
Sorry if this is advertising, but hopefully it's well recieved. Just ask for the T-Net discount ;)

Andy

That's a good deal. Full blown Ryedale for $400 - no more excuses people.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread