copper pennies

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to Madwest! He is the master of the home built sorter!!! :notworthy:

I am working on building my own version at the moment, I have my comparitor order from a parts wholesaler in Hong Kong and it should be here within the next week. I have been trying to listen in on these conversations on the board here and google everything. Check out youtube also, there are a lot of people who have made sorters with funny and surprising results. Trial and error...

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
BCD11 said:
YOU will be the hero of CRH'ers using Coin Mech comparitors if you can slow down the rake.
. . . a modification to do just that. Of course, I will share . . .

The . . . spec for coin rate is ... coins per second (see screen shot in prior reply). Even your hopped-up hopper ... isn't giving up ... coins per second. We would like to ...

Last edited:

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
madwest said:
I have experimented now with two different circuit modifications. I think I am close to coming up with a modification to do just that. Of course, I will share it if I find it.

The CMI spec for coin rate is 8 coins per second (see screen shot in prior reply). Even your hopped-up hopper at 24V isn't giving up 8 coins per second. We would like to sacrifice that spec for a more forgiving accept duration.

If anyone can figure out the modification, I'm sure it's you.

As for eight coins/second...no way am I looking for that! Given the Rube Goldberg contraption I cobbled together; WITH A LOT OF PEOPLES' HELP, madwest included, I'm happy with five to six per second. That rate is on a good day. If the chute is not lined up with the comparitor intake the whole thing comes to a screeching halt REAL QUICK.

Good luck madwest!

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
justicious said:
they sell hoppers for $20 on ebay but there are no penny shelves...

Suggestion, ask the person you're buying the hopper from if they have a 5 5/8" or 5 3/4" diameter shelf wheel. I just tested each of them using pennies and they work fine.

If you end up buying a shelf wheel from someone other than the hopper seller make sure the shelf wheel seller verifies it will work with your brand of hopper. I thought all shelf wheels were pretty much the same when I ordered some dime wheels for my IGT S2000 hoppers. I learned they are not all the same. The center hole was too small for the hub and there was a flange (raised edge) around the center hole. I don't know what hopper the wheels were designed for but I do know it was not mine. Fortunately, I have a friend that knows a machinist who was able adapt the wheels.

OP
OP
justicious

justicious

Jan 22, 2012
Delray Beach, Florida
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is there any other place I could get one could someone on this form have a friend make them a wheel and I will buy for $10 and pay $5 shipping? I will have to hand feed the CC-16E by hand when it gets here got 2 boxes of pennies from the banks today did 2 boxes by hand this weekend getting 16 wheat (1) 1912P and (1) 1919P (1) 1936 and rest were 40's-50's seemed like I was getting around 20% copper I have a big pile of 1982's waiting for my new sorter.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
justicious said:
Is there any other place I could get one could someone on this form have a friend make them a wheel and I will buy for $10 and pay $5 shipping? I will have to hand feed the CC-16E by hand when it gets here got 2 boxes of pennies from the banks today did 2 boxes by hand this weekend getting 16 wheat (1) 1912P and (1) 1919P (1) 1936 and rest were 40's-50's seemed like I was getting around 20% copper I have a big pile of 1982's waiting for my new sorter.

Have someone make you one locally. It is a ... disk with a ... hole in the center. Have that fabricated and then use the ... that you take from the ... to drill ... I suggest ..., but ... would be fine too.

The disk needs to be ... For cents, ..ga should be perfect (and would work for dimes also). ...ga is borderline too thick. ...ga would probably work, but you run the risk of ... when you drill it etc.

The photo is one that I created by ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
justicious

justicious

Jan 22, 2012
Delray Beach, Florida
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
madwest said:
Have someone make you one locally. It is a 15cm disk with a 3.1cm hole in the center. Have that fabricated and then use the shelf wheel that you take from the hopper you buy as a template to drill the mounting holes. I suggest stainless, but galvanized would be fine too.

The disk needs to be less than or equal to the thickness of coin coin you intend to run. For cents, 16ga should be perfect (and would work for dimes also). 14ga is borderline too thick. 18ga would probably work, but you run the risk of deforming it when you drill it etc.

The photo is one that I created by removing the flange that BCD speaks of.

Except, if you are using an American machinist be sure to supply dimensions in inches/thousandths. :laughing7:

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am attemtping to resist the urge to cull copper. I did 4 boxes looking for wheats and it appeared I could get 30-40% copper out of the boxes.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
justicious said:
who do I have make it keeping the price in mind please and The 12V DC power supply from ebay are from Hong Kong and will take 16 days to get here.... any way I can go to radio shack and splice wares would this be a bad idea? how will i power this if I get it ?http://www.ebay.com/itm/S2000-IGT-U...ultDomain_0&hash=item2c633ab581#ht_500wt_1413 Id does not plug into the wall without me doing something :)

You can buy a ... from ..., but if it is ..., make sure it ... You will need ... The ... one I suggested before ...

Yeah, this adventure is ... create a wiring harness... You have to ... You have to ... Then, you have to ....

Last edited:

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
namster said:
I am attemtping to resist the urge to cull copper. I did 4 boxes looking for wheats and it appeared I could get 30-40% copper out of the boxes.

Here in ..., it is ... I see it as a... I look at it as ...

Last edited:

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
justicious said:
who do I have make it keeping the price in mind please and The 12V DC power supply from ebay are from Hong Kong and will take 16 days to get here.... any way I can go to radio shack and splice wares would this be a bad idea? how will i power this if I get it ?http://www.ebay.com/itm/S2000-IGT-U...ultDomain_0&hash=item2c633ab581#ht_500wt_1413 Id does not plug into the wall without me doing something :)

First off, I know this will send madwest right into orbit BUT, try Goodwill, Salvation Army, second hand store, junk shop for 12V DC adapter if you don't have one laying around your place. Honest truth, I bought 12V DC adapters at Goodwill for $1.50. I use one to power the comparitor. My IGT S2000 hoppers are powered by 24V DC wall warts that are from HP printers...I think. And finally my counter is powered by a 4 or 5V DC adapter that I think is used to charge a cell phone. 12V DC adapters are easy to come by and could be used to power the hopper. Just make sure the adapter has enough amperage. I'll defer to madwest for the amperage nitty-gritty but my adapters are all 300 - 1000 mA.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
madwest said:
namster said:

Here in the midwest, it is close to 30% for me. I see it as a way to get in on the ground floor of something that might pay off someday. I look at it as the closest thing to what happened in 1964 that I will ever have a stab at.

I think I might start a couple boxes/week.

OP
OP
justicious

justicious

Jan 22, 2012
Delray Beach, Florida
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BCD11 said:
justicious said:

First off, I know this will send madwest right into orbit BUT, try Goodwill, Salvation Army, second hand store, junk shop for 12V DC adapter if you don't have one laying around your place. Honest truth, I bought 12V DC adapters at Goodwill for $1.50. I use one to power the comparitor. My IGT S2000 hoppers are powered by 24V DC wall warts that are from HP printers...I think. And finally my counter is powered by a 4 or 5V DC adapter that I think is used to charge a cell phone. 12V DC adapters are easy to come by and could be used to power the hopper. Just make sure the adapter has enough amperage. I'll defer to madwest for the amperage nitty-gritty but my adapters are all 300 - 1000 mA.
GREAT ADVICE I am cheap and this is a great idea what do you mean counter? I am dieing to know the exact number or copper coins I got and I dont have a scale or anything so a counter would be nice please describe more.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
madwest said:
I spent a lot of time tracing the circuit ... I have ...

... I have figured out the necessary mod to .... It is as simple as ...

The first scope shot is .... The second is with .... For the modd'ed version, .... I believe that this mod will make a world of difference in jams ....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread