Copper Production; First 100 boxes

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Did my 100th box of cents yesterday with the Ryedale (a :headbang: machine). I keep a running Excel spreadsheet with the various totals and sorted the copper from the last box this morning.

The tally is: 58239 copper cents, 780 wheats, and 326 Canadian cents. The wheats and Canadians aren't factored into the copper total. These figures reflect all 100 boxes, for those whom might think I'm talking about one box. ::) ::)

I have 5 or 6 of the King George (?) Canadian cents, a couple of the 150 Anniversary cents, and the rest are normal QEII. Anybody need any for their collections?

The wheats are (predictably) mostly 40's and 50's, but I did manage to pull a bunch of teens and twenties. Haven't really kept track of those, other than to store them separate from the copper.

Well, thanks for reading this long post, just wanted to share my copper hunting results to date.

Roger

Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Your copper ratio is pretty good. You are running about 23% copper. I run about 17% copper out here in Arizona. Wheats I run about 6.4 per box, so you are good there too, with 7.8 per box. As for Canadians, I throw the copper in witht he memorial copper, return the clad, and keep only the King George pennies. those are their equivelant of our wheats. And you don't find many, so keeping those doesn't take up much space.

Good job for your start with the Ryedale. Yes, an awesome machine. I'm well over a ton of copper in the garage right now, plus I've sold some over time. Probably culled about 2 tons so far. I've done lots more than just 100 boxes though. Keep up on the maintenance, as that helps a lot. Order some extra parts from Andy and have them around for when you need them. Clean it often and it will last you a few million pennies (at least so far for me) and still be running well.

:-)

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrf30 said:
Your copper ratio is pretty good. You are running about 23% copper. I run about 17% copper out here in Arizona. Wheats I run about 6.4 per box, so you are good there too, with 7.8 per box. As for Canadians, I throw the copper in witht he memorial copper, return the clad, and keep only the King George pennies. those are their equivelant of our wheats. And you don't find many, so keeping those doesn't take up much space.

Good job for your start with the Ryedale. Yes, an awesome machine. I'm well over a ton of copper in the garage right now, plus I've sold some over time. Probably culled about 2 tons so far. I've done lots more than just 100 boxes though. Keep up on the maintenance, as that helps a lot. Order some extra parts from Andy and have them around for when you need them. Clean it often and it will last you a few million pennies (at least so far for me) and still be running well.

:-)

wow. almost makes me want to switch over from silver. I would if I didnt believe so strongly in silver future's surge.

Good job guys, those are great returns.

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont understand copper cent hoarding even when the mint lifts the melt ban the amount of people that hoarded copper cents will push the price off copper down to where a copper cent is worth more as a penny.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kevinbomb123 said:
I dont understand copper cent hoarding even when the mint lifts the melt ban the amount of people that hoarded copper cents will push the price off copper down to where a copper cent is worth more as a penny.

The amount of copper being hoarded is a tiny blip on the radar screen. It wouldn't make the price of copper change any more than about 1% if it makes it change at all.

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kevinbomb123 said:

Greishams Law?

yonico

Dec 25, 2010
New York City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
about 23% copper (inc. wheaties), sounds about right
i get almost same numbers here in NY
i wish i had a sorter :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread