67 KB · Views: 987
Upvote 0

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Sometimes the clad coating on a coin doesn't lay right, and a coin will come out with some copper toning. Usually it's just a little bit, I've never seen one like that, very cool, and it may be worth something. Are both sides copper colored ??

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
How did you clean it? Electrolysis can cause clad coins and nickels to take on a pinkish tint due to their copper content. If it's silver, cleaning copper and silver coins together can cause the same sort of discoloration.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
In that case, it may have been struck on a defective clad or copper planchet.

Another possibility is that it's a post-mint alteration: someone electroplated it with copper.

And of course the scenario I described in my earlier post could also apply: I've received clad coins in change which had obviously been cleaned— and some that needed to be!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The red clay soil around here will stain a coin that color if it is in the ground very long.Looks kinda' neat I think. Monty

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the clad coins I find are colored like that, not sure why.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several Quarters, Nickles and even a few Dimes that have that tone to them. HH, Mike

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I think you would know its composition for sure (copper v. clad) if you took the edge of the coin and rubbed it against something like concrete (or just scratch it somehow)...you could see the color of the exposed metal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread