Copper, Silver and GOLD!!!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Inspired by recent posts, yesterday I decided to venture into the "Big City" and hit an old park. This is a very small park but has always produced some oldies...yesterday was no different.

The 1918 LC is in very nice condition. The silver gilt button is old and has a nice design stamped in. I thought it was military at first but it is civie.

The find of the day was the 10k gold pocket knife. I was about to throw it in the trunk with the rest of the junk when I noticed that it was monagramed. I still only thought it was brass or stainless steel but figured I would hold onto it long enough to ID the monogram. I gave it a good soapy water scrub and noted "TOD" os the monogram. I then noticed the gold markings on the loop...There was a considerable iron corrosion crust covering the gold from the blades but I managed to get most of it off. I'm thinking about removing the gold scales and having them put on another knife...and Tod is my middle name...

Anyone recognize the makers mark? It looks like a backwards uppercase "R" attached to an uppercase "B".

Attachments

• gold knife and button 001.jpg
    gold knife and button 001.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 685
  • gold knife and button 005.jpg
    gold knife and button 005.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 690
  • gold knife and button 008.jpg
    gold knife and button 008.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 689
  • gold knife and button 002.jpg
    gold knife and button 002.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 671
  • gold knife and button 003.jpg
    gold knife and button 003.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 671
Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a pocket knife similar to the one pictured for standing up with a friend who got married. Mine is gold plated however. It's useless for doing any real cutting but will suffice as something to hang on a key chain or manicure your fingernails. I am guessing that's what they are made for. I still carry my faithful Uncle Henry pocket knife for practical use. Monty

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I got a pocket knife similar to the one pictured for standing up with a friend who got married. Mine is gold plated however. It's useless for doing any real cutting but will suffice as something to hang on a key chain or manicure your fingernails. I am guessing that's what they are made for. I still carry my faithful Uncle Henry pocket knife for practical use. Monty

I would imagine that the one I found belonged to a distinguished city gent who used it for nothing more than opering a letter or trimming his nails. Based on PBK's ID and the state of the find I would bet that it was lost many years ago when a gold pocket knife for a city gent was all the rage...probably pre WWII.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread