Copper today is what silver was back in 1960s! Copper will be a precious metal! PROOF

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I was doin some calulations, and I see that copper is and will be a precious metal in a matter of years. it's value is growing, exponentially, similar to how Ag was before the coinage act of 1965.

Copper Prices.jpg

if you know the mathematics, then you will realize this is an exponential rate of growth. now you may say, "50, nice graph n'all, but I don't see where this fits in". well look below, I got a picture of the price of silver from the silver institute showing the same almost exact rate of exponential growth back in the early 1960s. if you ask an old timer, who lived in that time period, they will say about silver coins what people say about the copper cent, "people didn't think they were worth anything, we just spent um"

price-history-1960-1965.gif

If people think hunting cents is a waste of time, well.......let them keep thinking that. Opinions?

Upvote 0

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
I agree with baddbluff. If it's right there in front of you why not keep some, make a small profit and have more $ to search with. There may be a lot of copper out there, but I am doing my part to see that there is less every day.

Yes, I have been selling on eBay, but I'm not going to lie, I'm greedy. On Monday I'll have made $70 from copper sales in a week and a half. I'm just trying to get a bankroll of around $500 now, so I can just go out buy $500 in cents come home for the week and search it. It's more convenient that way, and I save on gas. $500 searched is about $40 in immediate copper profit alone, plus wheats, Indians, and errors. Just trying to bankroll build right now, so I can search more, and possibly get a Ryedale in the near future. My bankroll is around $400 now, but I have found that if I want to dump in bags at my banks, so I will have to have slightly over double that because it is away getting counted at Brinks or Garda for 7-10 days. So really $1,000 is the ideal bankroll for cents for myself. Maybe that sounds ridiculously high, but that's what I need to save as much as possible on gas and actually make this profitable.

BoredBankTeller

Jun 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The value of copper will increase over time because the value of fiat currency erodes as a result of inflation. Let's assume over the next 48 years that inflation is around 3% per year. If this was the case, it would take $4 2061 (that is, 4 dollars in the year 2061) dollars to have the same purcashing power as $1 2013. So, if the price of copper appreciates 400% by 2061, it really hasn't become any more valuable.

The $64,000 question that nobody can answer is knowing for certain when copper will be more valuable then it is now. The price will almost certainly rise over time, but that doesn't necessarily equate to an increase in value.

My personal thoughts on the matter are that metals are an excellent store of value and I think they will generally only become more valuable over time while paper money will do the opposite.

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Your comment is woefully misinformed. Pounds and Ounces are units of measurement that we have created, nothing more. The unit chosen makes absolutely no difference. It's a bit like saying we cannot compare 2/3 and 8/12 because one value is in thirds and the other is in twelfths.

But really copper cents according to 50Cent's prediction, will be worth $27/lb and not $27/ounce, 50 or so years from now.

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
The value of copper will increase over time because the value of fiat currency erodes as a result of inflation. Let's assume over the next 48 years that inflation is around 3% per year. If this was the case, it would take $4 2061 (that is, 4 dollars in the year 2061) dollars to have the same purcashing power as $1 2013. So, if the price of copper appreciates 400% by 2061, it really hasn't become any more valuable.

The $64,000 question that nobody can answer is knowing for certain when copper will be more valuable then it is now. The price will almost certainly rise over time, but that doesn't necessarily equate to an increase in value.

My personal thoughts on the matter are that metals are an excellent store of value and I think they will generally only become more valuable over time while paper money will do the opposite.

Disregard what I just said, you are right, but you can't say that the dollar 50 years ago was worth 8-10 times less than it is now. With silver prices, it has grown 8-10x since the 60's. Has the dollar become worth 8-10x less?

Last edited:

BoredBankTeller

Jun 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver has definitely become substantially more valuable over the time period you mentioned.

Here is a nifty graph of the declining value of a dollar since 1900:

Purchasing power of US Dollar.jpg

From the graph you'll notice that $1 in 1960 would have the purcashing power of about $5 today. So any increase in the price of silver above 5x represents an increase in value.
Am I allowed to post links to other websites in here (not coin related)?

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your comment is woefully misinformed. Pounds and Ounces are units of measurement that we have created, nothing more. The unit chosen makes absolutely no difference. It's a bit like saying we cannot compare 2/3 and 8/12 because one value is in thirds and the other is in twelfths.

I'm not misinformed, and especially not woefully.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's the question. From what I understand, Silver is used industrially, and most of the replacements for silver are expensive. Copper is used industrially, most of the replacements are less expensive. Personally, I do not see much growth in copper beyond inflation.

OP
OP
50cent

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
If you look, the prices of copper are posted per pound and the prices of silver are posted per ounce, I'm trying to show the general trend yo.

CopperHoarder

Dec 23, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Don't use one yet.
Primary Interest:
Other
The thing about copper is there's a ton of stuff made out of it.. Copper piping ect..? Are you saying I could rip out copper like it's silver :p?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang I didn't think the effect would be that bad. But I thought that during recessions, precious metals generally go up in price, since the value of the dollar usually goes down?

Precious metals do go up in price, since they become in demand. People want a hedge against inflation. Copper is not a precious metal, and people do not use it as a hedge, so the demand does not go up.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

Yes, a pound of copper now costs similar to an ounce of silver in 1960. It is not the same. That is like comparing 1/3 and 1/12.

PeteyPete

Greenie
Mar 4, 2013
Ocean City
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jdet411 hit this one in my opnion. copper will go up for a moment when the news breaks .. when the dust settles and pennies get melted down it will go down and then eventualy go back up but could take decades. im no expert but copper wire for electric and copper investing..and cars are the three main uses for copper now a days. And they are going to be in high demand for the next 10 years or so. we could see a spike soon.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang I didn't think the effect would be that bad. But I thought that during recessions, precious metals generally go up in price, since the value of the dollar usually goes down?

They do in the long run, but precious metals also have a tendency to fluctuate with the stock market as well. Definitely true for silver, if there's a good day for stocks it almost always goes up

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jdet411 hit this one in my opnion. copper will go up for a moment when the news breaks .. when the dust settles and pennies get melted down it will go down and then eventualy go back up but could take decades. im no expert but copper wire for electric and copper investing..and cars are the three main uses for copper now a days. And they are going to be in high demand for the next 10 years or so. we could see a spike soon.

Demand is already way up with China being the largest consumer. Most copper we have now has already been recycled once. Copper has been a buzz for a while it seems. Anytime you can double your money on a cent it is a good deal imho. Here are two interesting links. I think the value will be in the collecting end of it as we move further away from it.

Peak copper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What?s a Penny Really Worth? ? The American Open Currency Standard

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disregard what I just said, you are right, but you can't say that the dollar 50 years ago was worth 8-10 times less than it is now. With silver prices, it has grown 8-10x since the 60's. Has the dollar become worth 8-10x less?

Sorry fellas'- I just had to jump in here. Coppercrazy, 50 yrs. ago fuel was $0.17- $0.21 / gal. and a pair of Levis was $5.89 a pair. I know because I was there. Today that same fuel is $3.29- $3.79 / gal. and those Levis now cost $60- $80. No matter how you figure it , the purchase power of your $.$$ has decreased by more than 10 fold.

PeteyPete

Greenie
Mar 4, 2013
Ocean City
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Links. Ive been playing with copper for about 7 years i used to get the boxes of pennies and strip copper wire by hand. both give gave very little return. i used to do this while while watching tv in my spare time.. still have most all of it. wating for copper to go back up to the high $4 mark. I wont hold my breath.
But i feel the copper market is dead on very accurate maybee a little low. Unlike silver another metal i collect. Silver scares me it could plumit down to the Teens again, silver moves very strangely now all the big movements are downward. it will gain little by little for a long period of time and just get crushed downward in a couple days been doing this since the boom.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I just keep two coffee cans and put the Pre-1982 cents in one can, and the 1982 and above in the other can. Note that some of the 82's were copper, but I don't go there.

I figure it just won't hurt to do that. We just never know.....

I read somewhere, though I'm sure it fluctuates, that copper cents are actually worth $0.04 each.

So, why not?

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio

Yeah, when the US abolishes the cent, could it possibly flood the market if everyone goes into melt their cents? Copper used to be 2.3/cent, but now it's about 2.21/cent ever since Canada abolished their cent/penny.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions