Copper trifecta today! 1787 NJ, KGIII, 1820 LC

Jerry1NJ

Oct 23, 2008
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray pinpointer, Minelab CTX3030
Went out with a friend today to a cornfield that was a early homestead. I not only found my first large copper, but 3 of them. First one is a 1820 Large Cent, pretty worn but a readable date. Second is a King George copper, really worn but I can make out a little detail on it. Finally a 1787 NJ copper, decent detail under the crud. Need advice on cleaning it up a little. My friend is in his 60s, he showed me some old homesteads around his area. Before we went out he showed me some coins he had. He showed me his NJ copper that someone gave him long ago. I said to him that I wish I could find one of those someday. Well today was the day! Also about 10 years ago he found a 1794 Liberty Cap cent while hunting for arrowheads. Beautiful coin he had there!

Attachments

• copper trio.jpg
    copper trio.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 387
  • NJ front.jpg
    NJ front.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 381
  • NJ shield.jpg
    NJ shield.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 383
  • me cornfield.jpg
    me cornfield.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 372
  • large cent dug.jpg
    large cent dug.jpg
    421.7 KB · Views: 373
  • george.jpg
    george.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 372
  • NJ copper dug.jpg
    NJ copper dug.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 359
Upvote 0

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smokin Day there, big congrats buddy :wink: :icon_thumleft:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three coppers in one day is incredible! Congrats, you'll remember this day for a long long time.

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
congratulations!!! 3 in one day is awsome!
I'll put money that they aren't the only ones you are
gonna get out of that area. Good luck.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A three copper hunt with variety like that is always one for the permament memory banks of great hunts one has had. Can't tell from the photos on the condition, but to try and bring out more detail on the NJ copper, try wet q-tips on a wet coin and gently see if the crud comes off easily. I would be putting it in warm peroxide first and than using the wet q-tips but I have done many coppers and know what to expect. If you want to know the variety of the NJ, even if it does not clean up great, concentrate on the the Plow side by trying to expose the total shape of the plow, especially the handles, and its relation to the letter N in Nova, also the horse's ear postions in regards to the letters CAE is important. On the shield side, usually the 3 points of the shield are needed to be seen in relation to the letters, where they point to........

Fertilized field coppers are something I do not deal with too much, so be careful in however you attempt the cleaning, but the coin is what the coin is and as long as you do not do anything harsh, you cannot blame yourself for the condition, blame the fertilizer........

Don

Relooked at your coin, it is a 1787 Maris 46-e variety.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions