Copper?

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in a Bookcase drawer in my girlfriends Grandmothers basement.
Any information is food for my brain, love learning!!
The unfortunate thing is that i dont know how it got there , so it will be impossible to know where it came from.
Anyone care to place a (dollar) ammount on it? copper.jpg

Upvote 0

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have a rattail point. It is archaic copper. It is 3 - 10 thousand years old and it is hard to tell exactly without carbon dating it. Nice piece.

OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really appreciate it Glenn, I guess i could ask grandma if she possibly knows where grandpa got it from. Although he has been gone since 1965. He did work at Ames University, in Iowa.The man was pretty much a Renaissance man. And also, His family came from Canada , who knows when. Wasnt that period kinda focused around the Great Lakes?

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG,I had no clue at all,unbelievable that old:icon_thumright:,,HH:hello:

esox

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2008
Northern Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Yes. From the great lakes area. Its rare but theres a possabilty that it was found in Iowa. Or Canada. But I think it came from Wisconsin.

OP
OP
BadAdze

BadAdze

Oct 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about South Dakota?

esox

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2008
Northern Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Hey Daniel. Its possable. But very rare. Dont count it out. I know a few have been found there. Also in New England and the gulf coast. I live just south of the copper mines. Its common to come home with a half dozen or more. Not always points. They also made knifes, awls, fish hooks and many other items. Some I find have native silver in them. I was born here and everybody knows eachother. I was never a trouble maker in my little town when I was growing up. So I get along very well with everyone. When I ask permission to hunt someones property they say have fun and show me what you found. I dont waste my time on public land it was hunted very hard in the 70's and 80's not to mention its illeagl now. Did you ask your grandma if she remembers? I can give you a real good shot what its worth if you can tell me the size. Its a classic short tanged ratail spearpoint. Very nice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread