Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lahmejoon said:
Someone recently brought up coppercoins.com as a resource for pennies. My question is, are all of the variations shown on this website official variations?

It depends on your definition of official. Who makes the rules on what is "official"? Are the coins listed true errors/variations, yes. The ones in the redbook or the cherry picker's guide are no more official than the ones shown on coppercoins.com. Usually the redbook and cherry picker's guide pick out the ones that are easiest to see and thus typically have more $$ attached to them, but if you are into variations, I think coppercoins.com is pretty good. Note that the site doesn't list (or at least they didn't previously) things like the 1992-D Close AM or 1998 Wide AM.

Many of the variations listed on that site almost need a microscope (or good magnification) to be seen. I tried it briefly, but found it far too time consuming for the amount of success and eye strain. Each to their own, but I'll stick to occasionally looking for the more common or easier to spot variations.

Just for the record, the main person in charge of coppercoins.com also has a decent book on cent errors (yes I own a copy). It is listed on the site, for those that want to go find it.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
i would imagine they would b pretty accurate, tho u never know! i always try to keep the most current red book, so if i were u i would buy one of those, and they r not 2 expensive for the amount of help they will provide in ur CRH'ing career.

USMCLion

Feb 15, 2008
Copper coins is probably the best resource for lincoln cent varieties that you will ever find. Charles Daughtrey built the site and is considered to be "the expert" in Lincoln cent varieties. I have the Red Book Lincoln Cent edition from a few years ago and he wrote the forward for the book. He knows his stuff and the site is very detailed and a wealth of knowledge. He is not currently attributing, Mike Piazza has taken over for him. They also are working with DGS/ formerly PCI to make it into a varieties grading service. As a varieties collector I like that because it is badly needed in out hobby. I'm attaching a link, this is where most people post finds for Chuck and Mike to give their opinion on. If your picture is good they will tell you exactly what you have or don't have. You can learn a lot from reading the posts there.

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=5

H/H

Ryan

OP
OP
lahmejoon

lahmejoon

Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll probably pick up one of his books.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread