Coppers, Silver, Relics and GOLD!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That about sums it up! We hunted the entire day on two new sites and weren't disappointed! The gold is rare to me because I do not find a lot on the types of sites I hunt. Looks like an older ring, probably early 1900s but the hallmarks are pretty worn. The diamond is still in place though! EDIT: Ring may be much older than 1900s...preliminary research indicates design elements indicative of the 1700s.

Also found a few coppers including a big Nova Scotia penny, a British 1941 Half Cent and a George III. The silvers are a 1904 five cent and the end of a silver utensil.

Relics are a shoe buckle, a couple buttons including a sporting button, a tombac and a Victorian military button, Also some trinkets and my favourite...a musket ramrod channel...my favourite find of the day.

Great day out and looking forward to the next time!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431980722.698903.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431980739.166266.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431980828.282572.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431980921.949800.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431980946.066158.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 23

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the looks of it, it wouldn't fit on his fingers...kids ring or pinky??
Phenom finds man.

Gold ring would be on my finger...
And if in fact colonial... a banner in my book.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a good hunt. Something to satisfy all of a detectorist's cravings: gold-check, silver-check, old copper-check, cool relics -check.
Congrats on a stellar hunt

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just spent the last couple of hours looking at and researching gold ring designs. My head hurts  It seems to be a Georgian design, but that doesn't really mean anything. Alot of the same intricate work is seen in the Georgian period, although I haven't found one with all of those designs together, other than yours. As for the diamond, they have been putting diamonds in rings for thousands of years. The cut of the diamond would help date it. 17 facets was common in the Georgian Era, whereas 33 facets was common after 1870. The purity of the gold will help too, since the makers marks are toast. A toothbrush and toothpaste might help to get more info from them. Worked awesome on my mother in laws ring

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just spent the last couple of hours looking at and researching gold ring designs. My head hurts  It seems to be a Georgian design, but that doesn't really mean anything. Alot of the same intricate work is seen in the Georgian period, although I haven't found one with all of those designs together, other than yours. As for the diamond, they have been putting diamonds in rings for thousands of years. The cut of the diamond would help date it. 17 facets was common in the Georgian Era, whereas 33 facets was common after 1870. The purity of the gold will help too, since the makers marks are toast. A toothbrush and toothpaste might help to get more info from them. Worked awesome on my mother in laws ring

Thanks for the assist...the diamond is rough cut and I would be surprised if there were even 17 facets. Definitely no where near 33 facets. Looks like I have some research to do!

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I would say!!!! Before the 17 facet diamond was the Rose cut. It was a crude cut...or more of a trim rather than a cut. I'm intrigued by that ring for some reason. Good luck dude!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice hunt you had there with a nice group of finds

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not disappointed, I should say not.
You got about one of each.
That spoon end looks like it would have been quite a large one complete., and very ornate.
And the Gold, well I'd trade a handfull of ram rod parts for that.
Near forgot what do you think the squashed thing is in top right of pic. #2 ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not disappointed, I should say not.
You got about one of each.
That spoon end looks like it would have been quite a large one complete., and very ornate.
And the Gold, well I'd trade a handfull of ram rod parts for that.
Near forgot what do you think the squashed thing is in top right of pic. #2 ?

Not sure what that is Rick...it's lead and would have been rounded when not squished. It's stamped but I'm not sure if it's old or modern. I'm inclined to think modern...but I've been wrong before...

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You Colonial Hunters Just never know whats gonna come out of the Ground next.
Sounds like Gold was very scarce back in those days (or who ever had it ,had most of it).
Great Hunt Man
Davers

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! now those are just awesome finds, great coppers, Buckle, bullet, buttons, gold ring, oh my! Congrats! keep it coming! HH

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...I've figured out that the square hallmark is an upper case "P" which would be the date code. The diamond hallmark is too far gone. I can narrow down the date now but don't think I'll ever be able to figure it out...

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...I've figured out that the square hallmark is an upper case "P" which would be the date code. The diamond hallmark is too far gone. I can narrow down the date now but don't think I'll ever be able to figure it out...

May actually be an "F"...actually...pretty sure it is...it's just squished.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You covered it all! Nice!

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure I have the hallmark figured out. It is an upper case "F" albeit a little squished from wear. It's in a square cartouche so looking through the British hallmarks, which is most likely, it would appear to indicate 1854 Birmingham. The diamond hallmark was probably the maker's mark and it is completely worn away...which would lead me to think that it would have to be at least 1854 to have sustained that much wear. It's quite heavy for it's size so I am guessing at least 18k gold.

One of my favorite finds so far this year!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread