Cops and Robbers question

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Hi,

Every now and then I see a story posted about encounters with cops or robbers while detecting.
I try to be careful and keep an eye out for both. Cops because I like to know they're around, (after all, what I'm doing is perfectly legal!) and robbers because face it, when you're out alone with headphones on, it's pretty easy to be snuck up on. I've flashed my digger a couple of times at people who worried me by the way they were watching. I just got the feeling they were not curious about detecting but about how much the pawn shop might give them for my equipment. Maybe I am paranoid, but so far, so good.

My question is, what's your BEST true story about detecting involving cops and/or robbers?

I'm hoping for posts that entertain as well as inform.

Thanks,

Mike

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always keep an eye out and look around every few minutes. I was at Stewart Beach in Galveston early one morning and was in knee deep water swingin' away. The beach was empty. I looked up and there was this dude about 40 feet away running at me at full speed. I don't know why, but he stopped, smiled at me with a wicked grin and walked down the beach. I wonder what would have happened if I didn't look up...

I've been snuck up on by cops too, but they usually just say "found anything?"

Beep

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a cop and I must look like one (whatever they are supposed to look like). I was hunting a tot lot and there were a few kids abt 15 or 16 sneaking around smoking. When I got closer to them, one looked at me and threw down his cig real quick. He asked if I had found anything and I said just a few pennies. The other one looked at me and said..."Man, you're a cop, aren't you?"....How perceptive these kids are nowadays. If I had seen that group before hand, I would have probably not stopped. It wasn't the most "bestest" neighborhood...

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
I was detecting an older school yard at a local city on Sunday so no one was in the school at the time . I was not aware that a cop had come up behind me and so he ran in front of me and told me to put everything down.

I complied and he asked me what I was doing. I told him I was metal detecting and I asked him if I was doing anything wrong.

He told me .."No, but we had a call from an older woman who was afraid of the man who was carrying a stick and a shovel in the school yard. She said that there is a man who is always falling down on his knees." He then went on to call the dispatch to cancel the ambulance. I found it funny that some old bitty who could not figure out what I was doing panicked and called the police. Crazy city folk.

I use a Pistol Probe and he did not really care about that (for all of you who are afraid to carry it because it looks supposedly like a pistol) but he did want me to put my shovel down. He then asked me if I have found anything of value. I showed him three standing liberty quarters, 5 Mercury dimes and a big handful of clads I had found before he came.

He then said that he should look into getting into the hobby.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Now see how it is, SC?

You may have inspired that young fellow to quit smoking the ciggies!
Whew! Wish I could kick the bad habit!
A definite sign of weakness. :(

Over the years I've only been asked to stop once, by a govt maintenance guy on staff at a public facility... and it was clear someone else had put him up to the task.

Oh, there was one other person, who felt her group had reserved an entire park.
I laughed at her!

Mostly I get a lot of curious kids, then they want to dig for me.
Then I get some concerned Moms.
They always end up being nice to talk to when I show them bits I've found.

Local Park staff and police enforcement are always friendly, but they've mostly seen me for years and I always greet them nicely if I see them first.
I always offer them my spare detector in the truck. ;D

Never had a prob with BG's, but I cast a pretty big shadow and am no one to mess with for fun.
Knock on wood I don't run into a drunken Napoleon complex!

Best
rptr

UTcoinshootR

Mar 5, 2008
UT!
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, DFX300
Nice plehbah, good story. I too detect with the same chip on my shoulder. I'm a corrections officer and a little bit jaded to say the least. Your crack head friend would have left with a broken leg. Asp... its a wonderful tool. Anyway I thought I'd share my story. I was detecting a ghost town in Utah when I noticed someone in a beat up truck watching me from about 300 yards away. I dug a wheat penny and looked up and the truck was gone. I looked around and saw the truck had driven closer. He was now about 100 yards away and just staring at me through his windshield. This ghost was very secluded and it was just me and this freak. I started walking back to my truck and he started idling closer. So i finally leaned my detector against the truck and chambered a round into my glock. I then put the glock back in my holster and stood there with my hands on my hips staring at him. The creep made an immediate right turn and headed out. I have no doubt that this guy was up to no good and I serioulsy worry for anyone that encounters him in the future. I tried to call him in to dispatch, but my phone had no service. I was weirded out and decided to call it a day. THE END.

OP
OP
MikeOregon

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
My last confrontation with cops was with federal officers who patrol the national forests. I met a buddy and together we went to a nearby town and picked up a guy he had met on-line. This guy had a gun. Together we headed out into the forest to look for artifacts where an old hotel had been. We had found only trash, but I was on my knees digging when I looked to my right at a black boot. Slowly my eyes led upwards to find an officer. He wanted us all to stop detecting so he could tell us the rules. He was decent about it and wondered if we had found, for example, Indian remains. What metal detector finds Indian remains I don't know, but he asked. He then reminded us that we're not supposed to disturb the native plants. About this time, the third guy, the one we had never met before that day, spouts off, "oh, so you can't walk around like this, huh," and he begins to stomp on the ground. I'm thinking, "shut the hell up! Shut the hell up!" I figure any minute now he will tick off the cop and then they will find his gun and we'll all be in trouble. Fortunately it ended there. I have never seen this guy again, and I don't need to.

The cops in Eugene are great; usually they drive past and wave.

Mike

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No cops or robbers but I did piss off two bucks,was out with my buddy and he went one way and I went the other,well I had on my headphones and not really looking up when all of a sudden I was down on my knees and next to me was a Doe and she had two boy friends who wanted her.I wasn't sure what to do so I back into a ceder tree and started to climb up and I shouted out loud,a cople minutes later they all left. :thumbsup:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
"I also tell this particular story to encourage others to stick with metal detecting tot-lots in the affluent parts of town."

Sorry Plebah, only things in them totlots are the Skechers tags and zipper pulls. You have to go to the worst neighborhoods to get the best returns from the tot lots.

Fortunately I knew a baton twirler in my younger years and she taught me a few moves. I carry the extendable garden cultivator and twirl it fancifully as I walk between the woodchips. No problem!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Always let both of them know you know they are there. If the bad guys know your aware of them they will think they have less of a chance to get a hold of you. If the Police know your there then they will have a better chance to look after you and know your not doing anything wrong.

It is always safer to presume people are going to harm you, stand your ground. Be proud show your not scared and will do whatever it takes for you to stay safe. If things still look bad at that point you should decide to leave and get out. Don't leave in a panic but look for an exit that will have the most other people walking or driving by.

It is also a good habit to make sure your hunting area is safe, look around a site make sure no hoods are hanging out in the area. Make sure it has enough people in it so people can see you if your in trouble. Always tell someone, a friend a family member or other loved one where your going and how long you think you'll be gone.

These rules apply for people who hunt in the woods too, its easy to get lost in the woods and you should have people who know where you are. Also know how to find your way out if you do get lost, have a compass and know how to use it. Maps, cell phone, GPS, a change of clothes and something to make a fire with. You can follow rivers to civilization, listen for cars or trains in the distance too.

It is very important you take time to think don't panic and use what resources you have. To find your way out quickly and safely. When you get lost and in a panic time will go faster you'll tire out faster and die faster. So you must stay calm, think and be resourceful.

(I would like to thank Yulelah for his advise from Youtube for being safe in the woods)

Keep @ it and Safe HH!!!

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I haven't had any problems yet, but it still could.
I've had one policeman come up to me in his car, I didn't even look up, just kept digging, after I recovered my quarter
he left and didn't come back

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I wouldn't hunt in any city where more than one episode of COPS has been taped. Don't think they've ever taped any episodes in NE Illinois, so I'm good to go!

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
they filmed one here in Wichita, about 7 years ago. that lady did a real good job of looking stupid

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Cops and Robbers question & The Glock

Frankly...It's a dumb move to pull out your Glock and jack a round into it as a deterrent. You should have been carrying it with a round in the chamber ready to go. That act by itself elevated what was going on from a suspicious circumstances situation to a 'threat' situation, involving a fire arm, maybe at the felony level. You elevated it. Not the bad guy! If any law enforcement officer witnessed what you described you did, you would have been on the street face down. Unless you intend to use it don't pull it out for all to see. I betcha you talk tough but if the truth be known you really have no desire to shoot somebody. If so...you are a bigger danger to all the others in the area than the maybe bad guy. Bet there isn't one law enforcement officer who would disagree with me. The real world ain't TV. Before you shoot makes sure your life is in immediate danger and then be sure you can prove that in a court of law...twice. Once for your criminal trial and another for the civil trial brought on behalf of the family for wrongful death. Sorry this is harsh, but displaying a weapon like you did is really not a prudent action and didn't make you one bit safer. Jim

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a corrections officer, I don't think he would have gotten into much trouble grumpy.

Beep

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beep! As a corrections officer he should have know better. Being a trained person as a corrections officer is, would certainly be used against him at trial. Depends on where you live. Another fully commissioned officer might extend professional coutesy to an off duty commissioned officer from another jurisdiction but I don't think correction officers are that far up the law enforcement food chain. I do think he could dodge an official complaint and/or arrest, but I am pretty certain that some brass from the PD where it happened would notify the brass at the correctional facility and there would be an unofficial piper to pay.
I live in Washington State. About 30 miles from me is the Oregon border. Oregon does not have a reciprocal agrrement on concealed weapons permits. An off duty city officer from Washington went across the border to make a purchase and had his hand gun with him. He forgot about it as he wasn't planning to go to Oregon, initially. He got stopped for a traffic violation and volunteered, like he should have, that he was carrying a concealed weapon. The Oregon person reviewed the commission card, told him to be more careful, and sent him on his way. When he returned to his local jurisdiction his boss called him in for a conference. He got suspended without pay for that incident.
Really! The best thing to do is be aware of your surroundings and be able to 'read' what is going on. Then leave at the first hint of problems. From being watched suspiciously to displaying a hand gun is a big jump in the continuum of reasonable force for self protection.
In contrast if it was a 85 pound female detectorist, in that situation she would have a lot more latitude for her behavior than a 180 pound man. There are so many variables that it's tough to decide what to do. Usually there are lots of things to do before you reach for and display a gun. Regards...Jim

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not saying that I disagree with you concerning most of your points...just saying that anyone in law enforecement (as you say) is less likely to have the full weight of the law imposed upon them.

Beep

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All My Run ins with Cops were to Give me Leads

Except for one which was to tell me his Dad Shouldnt have given Me permission.

That's OK becuse he Dosn't own the Land anymore & My
first Gold this year came from there. Plus many other
Pieces of gold & Silver I found over the Last 10 Years
came from there too ;D

Never Had a Run in with Anyone who Gave me
Even the Slightest reason For Concern
except for last weekend a Kid Digging holes with a stick
trying to Bury something in my Path.
So everytime he Buried it
I Changed My Direction
and after he Left We Covered his Holes.

Although I'm not a fan of fear, it has profited me quite nicely! I spent years detecting parks and such in the "Rough" neighborhoods and found the most old coins and collectibles than anywhere in the city. Other detectorist's would tell me that they would never hunt there because they are scared. Works good for me! I never experienced any problems.
In one of my favorite parks in one of the roughest areas, I actually was approached by gang banger wearing his colours. He was actually the leader of this notorious gang and we sat down, had a smoke and shot the breeze for over a hour. He was a nice guy and well educated and told me some things about his gang that I never knew. It was an interesting "inside look" into that lifestyle. The other run ins are fine 'cause it seems that these guys think it is cool that I am finding money in the ground and they respect "my hustle" and in a way they can relate to someone who makes money in this alternative way.
One scary scenario did happen when I was looking for bottles on the river bank right in the heart of the city. I was poking around when I heard yelling across the river. Two 15 year-olds were yelling at me to get away from their F'ing rummage pile and were calling me b*tch and other gang talk that belongs more to an U.S. ghetto than a Canadian city. Anyways, I made the mistake in yelling back that I don't have to listen to kids and next thing I see one kid waving a hand gun and yelling "I'm going to cap you mutha f#*$!!" and I heard a clicking sound from an empty gun. I was a sitting duck and that kid could have had bullets in his pocket and I slowly walked away, listening to all his gang banger talk and watching him point the gun and click. I know without a doubt that it was a real gun. Nobody would have witnessed this incident if it went bad. It was my mistake for reacting the way I did, and no 15 year old wants to be called a kid, especially if he is a gang banger. This was the only time in 20+ years of treasure hunting, that I feared for my life.

The biggest hassle has been from idiots who call the cops on me because they think I'm doing something bad. The police show up and ask me what did I find and then drive away. I usually look for a peering face in a window somewhere and give them the finger. In fact I have had more yelling matches with people who think that they own a city boulevard than anyone else in my life. These people are the only ones that effect my ability to hunt any public areas.
Dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread