Corn Cob

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Desert Southwest is a great place for finding perishable remains from the past. Ever see the yucca sandals that are sometimes found in shelters out there? How cool is that? This corn cob was given to me years ago by a woman whose son found it somewhere near the Tuzigoot Pueblo south of Flagstaff, Az. The Sinagua Indians built Monteczuma's Castle in the same area of Arizona, as well as Tuzigoot. Tuzigoot was occupied from about 1125-1400 AD, and the Hopi believe the people there are among their ancestors who migrated to the Hopi Mesas after 1400AD. This cob seems to show a little charring....

http://www.desertusa.com/tuz/du_tuz_desc.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 0

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
very nice charlie

i have a few very charred black cobs that i found in the mandan site.....they are very small

i can post them if you wish

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very nice charlie i have a few very charred black cobs that i found in the mandan site.....they are very small i can post them if you wish

Sure, Steve. I'd love to see them. Surprised at how small corn cobs were actually. I heard 2 inches was the norm!

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
It would truly be amazing to find something like that. & Steve's pictures of the cobs are great. Have you ever had charred corn? It was a treat my Grandmothers gave the kids, & my Mother gave it to my siblings & me.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I find charred cobs washed out of the islands that were once occupied by the Occaneechi. I never have brought one home. That's how numerous they are on that site. I'll drag one in next time I hunt there. They seem smaller than today's corn cobs.

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It would truly be amazing to find something like that. & Steve's pictures of the cobs are great. Have you ever had charred corn? It was a treat my Grandmothers gave the kids, & my Mother gave it to my siblings & me.

Never tried it that way. Just boiled and has to be the day it's picked. My wife thinks I'm too fussy, but the sugar starts to turn to starch as soon as it's picked, so gotta be the day it's picked!

I find charred cobs washed out of the islands that were once occupied by the Occaneechi. I never have brought one home. That's how numerous they are on that site. I'll drag one in next time I hunt there. They seem smaller than today's corn cobs.

Sure, I'd collect one as an example anyway. Not an artifact, but still an interesting piece of the past.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have salted and buttered the corn and wrapped in tin foil and barbequed it on the grill. It sure is tasty, but don't let it over cook too much.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
For some reason, I was thinking I read where maze only had 8 rows of kernels. How many does that cob have?

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_0533.jpg these are what we see sometimes after we turn the soil over to kill the weeds

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For some reason, I was thinking I read where maze only had 8 rows of kernels. How many does that cob have?

I counted 15 rows. I know the corn on the cob I live on in the summer has more then 8 rows of kernels, here there are 15.

http://www.nativetech.org/cornhusk/cornhusk.html

"By systematically collecting and cultivating those plants best suited for human consumption, Native Americans encouraged the formation of ears or cobs on early maize. The first ears of maize were only a few inches long and had only eight rows of kernels. Cob length and size of early maize grew over the next several thousand years which gradually increased the yields of each crop."

The sites in the Verde Valley are Sinagua and date 1100-1400 AD, which would be the date for this cob; twice as many rows by then, but corn had been introduced many centuries earlier by that date.

Steve, those are cool, a bit overdone for me, lol....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread