CORNFIELD FINDS

Swanie1

May 6, 2003
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & XL500 SEAHUNTER-PULSE
I got the urge, today to head out to a cornfield, about 25 miles from where I live, that used to be a fairground until the early 1950's. The corn had been picked but the farmer had, only, shredded about 12 rows near the road and the rest of the field was in corn stubble. I detected the, easily accessible, 12 rows and will go back when the field has been worked up, better. In about 1 1/2 hours, I dug up an 1899 barber quarter, a 1941 Wash. quarter, 1920 plain Merc., a 1936 D Merc, a 1944 Merc, and a 1920 wheat cent. I hunt this field each yr. and it has been very bountiful with silver over the years. It would be better, each yr., if he would deep plow it to churn up the deep coins. I found these with my Garrett GTI 2500 with a 12.5" Proformance spider coil. I love that detector for field hunting.

Attachments

• DSCN1971.JPG
    DSCN1971.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,880
Upvote 0
D

dugupfinds

Ploughed is best in the UK.

Only bother with pasture when all ploughed is drilled. ie. this time of year. For those who have noticed my find rate has now taken a massive dip.

As you noted & will happen one year is a deep plough. Farmers here tend to do one here every 5 years.

So keep hitting that field & I know your get more & I bet one year your come up big style.

HAPPY HUNTING

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice swanie,

The large coils make a big difference in large area's. Sounds like there is more to be found at this site. Good luck in the future there.

HH Jer

OP
OP
Swanie1

Swanie1

May 6, 2003
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & XL500 SEAHUNTER-PULSE
In my earlier post, I neglected to state that, a number of years ago, it was kind of a rainy, muddy, weekend and I got the urge to go down to that old fairgrounds and hunt. In TWO days, I dug up over 70 "silver" coins. Regarding this week's finds, above, one of the Mercs was lying on top of the soil, under some chopped cornstalks. I never fail to find silver there. each time I hunt it. That was back when they would plow it deeper, each year.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, Swanie! :o I bet you are setting on 'go' waiting on that farmer to get back out there! :D I know I would be! :o What a site you have! Congrats on all those finds and keep 'em comin!!!

Nana ;)

T

TreasureTales

Farming silver. Now that's my kinda farming! Nice finds, and keep up the great work. I can hardly wait to see your next "crop."

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice research and congrats on the finds! HH, Mike

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just Call, and They will Come! Great Finds

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
congrats on some nice silver!!
I've used My 12.5" Pro imaging
coil abit- -very heavy! Most
sites are too tight and trashy!
Your cornfield sounds like a
perfect spot for it!
HH

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds! Tsgman

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent~

HH

D

doyboy

Great research, swanie, on that field! How many silver coins have you pulled from this field? HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread