Correct way to sample?

The1rod

Jan 18, 2018
Hudson co
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on your intended way to recover the gold. If you intend to dredge then there needs to be gold in the creek or river you plan on dredging, digging to bedrock would tell you there is gold at bedrock but that might be way different than what is in the creek. If you plan to run a larger operation and can consistently get to bedrock, then digging to bedrock in multiple areas to get an overall average would be good. Basically you need to sample the dirt you plan to run. If you just plan to dredge I would take a pan and a shovel to the river/creek and start there.

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 2 in is great if you are new to it, testing, you want to get as deep as ya can ,this isn't so difficult in streams mostly, bedrock is Where gold stops,that's where it will collect,that is what you want to see.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sampling methods and how throughout you sample depend on the given situation. Adjust, adapt as needed.
If bedrock is 30 meters deep - don't try to dig down there when sampling. :coffee2:

However my primary sampling tool is my gold pan. Sluice is set up after I find a suitable spot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread