Cortes Bank Shipwrecks? Query from an author.

dixoncj

Oct 13, 2009
This is my first post to Treasurenet after reading a number of fascinating posts.

I'm writing a book on Cortes Bank, also known as the Cortez Banks. The Bank is a submerged Channel Island 100 miles off the California Coast. At its shallowest point, a pinnacle called Bishop Rock nearly breaks the surface. The book will be a bio of a crew of surfers who have ridden the biggest waves in the world out here, but I'm planning on weaving in a good degree of maritime history into the tale.

To that end, I'd like to see if any of you have had any experiences out here, if you know anyone who has, or if anyone has direct knowledge of the mission that Mel Fisher launched out here in 1957. Fisher claimed to have found an ancient Spanish map that showed the spot where a Galleon - likely a Manilla galleon - foundered on the Bank. I actually interviewed the LATimes reporter who went along on this wildly unsuccessful expedition and would be glad to share his anecdotes, and a hairball story of how a crew of guys nearly died after deliberately running a 400 foot long freighter onto the Bank's shallowest reach.

Below is a link to the story I wrote for the New York Times that sparked the idea and research for this book.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/09/sports/othersports/09surf.html

Please feel free to post responses here or to send me an email. I will glady promise anonymity to anyone willing to spin an interesting yarn. My email is dixoncj at aol dot com.

Thanks! - Chris Dixon

Cortes Bank World Record Wave - Ridden by Mike Parsons in January, 2008.
09surf.1.600.jpg

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
All I have seen is some mention of it as a possible wreck site for a Manila galleon. It gets mentioned a lot in connection with the 2 to 3 possible Santa Catalina Island Spanish wrecks and San Nicholas island. The citations all seem kind of speculative; and if there are wreck sites on the reefs or along the shorelines there, the locations are not broadly published.

Sorroque

Jan 5, 2007
Canaberal de Ayzm
Detector(s) used
GMHCX3
This is the place where a surfing contest was held for the largest wave contest. Movie entitled "XXL", is a must see.
I too wondered how many ships may have drowned on this reef.
Waves exceed 64' and are larger than Wiaema Bay of Hawaii.
These waves move at 40mph. There is nothing in the day 100's of years ago that could have survived a "train wreck" by one of these collossials.
I think Mel Fisher was onto something here.
Were there any Manila Galleons sunk here?
Maybe Robert Marx would know.
I saw the movie. :thumbsup:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Chris:

Welcome to Treasure Net !!

James A. Gibbs, in his book 'Shipwrecks of the Pacific Coast', first published in 1957 (ISBN 0-8323-0391-7), noted in the Appendix: 1717 'Santa Rosa' sank on the reefs off Bishop Rock SSE Cortez Bank.
Is it a coincidence that Mel went there the same year?
Don.......

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
It seems that during 1716, 1717, and 1718 all the Manila galleon ships made it with no losses. The Santo Christo de Burgos, Nuestra Senora de Begona, and San Judas Tadeo y Las Benditas Animas were being used during that time period.

OP
OP
D

dixoncj

Oct 13, 2009
cuzcosquirrel said:
It seems that during 1716, 1717, and 1718 all the Manila galleon ships made it with no losses. The Santo Christo de Burgos, Nuestra Senora de Begona, and San Judas Tadeo y Las Benditas Animas were being used during that time period.

Thanks guys
Cuzco - what about the Santa Rosa? I don't see that one mentioned in your note. Are you saying it's not likely that the Santa Rosa was in service in 1717? And do you have a source? My editor's going to be a stickler for sources.
Mackaydon- I agree that it's probably not a coincidence that Mel Fisher launched his mission the same year the "Shipwreck" book came out. Fascinating stuff.

I wonder if anyone out there has also possibly heard of an article or book titled "The King of Cortes" or "The King of Cortez". I heard that it was published in the wake of the failed attempt to establish a nation state atop Bishop Rock by sinking the Jalisco in 1966, but I can't find any record of this story. I have found some pretty amazing newspaper stories though. And Sorroque - the movie with the craziest Bank surf footage is probably "Step Into Liquid".

Thanks for the posts and replies! - Chris Dixon

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
There were no Manila galleons operating under this name in 1717. The Santo Christo de Burgos was lost on route to Acapulco in 1726. It had been in service for at least 20 years. These are from Bruce Cruikshank's Manila galleon list.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In John Potter's classic book, The Treasure Diver's Guide (ISBN: 0-517-21718X) he notes (on page 464) "There are several published accounts that a Spanish galleon, carrying some gold, sank at the outer point of Cortez Bank in 1717. This ship was reported to have struck a 15-foot deep shoal now called Bishop's Rock......."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread