Cortes im thinking i realy want to try one!

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cortes i'm thinking i realy want to try one!

hey there cortes owners i'm really seriously thinking of a new one, i've had deleon's and they been great machines but this is the one i still want to try most, really intrigued by the sum mode how accurate is it? and liking the idea of manual ground in all metal which is fine, just looking for differences from the deleon or what could i expect from the cortes vs the deleon sort of thing any advice would be great and the smaller meter face does'nt bother me too much

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Cortes i'm thinking i realy want to try one!

hey soupie thanks for the response, i apreciate it!

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher

I've been using a Cortes over 3 years now and love it. The SUM mode took a while for me to see the benefits, now I rely on it. I use SUM a lot to double check the meter when its jumpy, it helps and the tones are helpful to confirm what the meter is showing. I think all digital metered machines have jumpy meter readings. The meter is small but the first thing I glance at are the bars, they are the easiest to see on the meter and I glance at the depth reading. In Disc mode will get a 6" dime with a strong signal, but 7" would be about max in mild soil like I have in my neck of the woods. I also have a Golden uMax, love that machine too, has great tones, is great to use when moving fast or when there is a lot of targets close together. Also have a 4 tone Fisher ID Edge and CZ7aPro. Rarely use them, I prefer my two Tosoros.

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thats good to know i'm finding that i've had three or four of the same model and finding that some are lot hotter than others and disc works better than others i've owned as well it pays to get them tuned i had one vaq i shipped back and rusty tunes it up and wow what a difference!

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

This is my first year with mine and what I've found is that it loves nickels like nothing else I've ever used. The bar graph is really handy in deciding if it's a good target or scrap sounding like a good target. The display is on the small side, it's not for someone with poor eyesite. The sum feature is a nice feature when deciding whether or not to dig. I sometime have trouble pinpointing surface targets. You can only ground balance in all metal, in disc mode it's factory preset. As far as depth I've found dimes as deep as 6" with out trouble, I think it could go a little deeper just haven't found any yet. The depth readout is accurate on deeper targets but on shallow targets it can be way off by reading deeper than it really is.
Overall it's a good machine.

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yeah i've found the deleon to be the same way on the depth meter but on shallow targets mine was right on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread