Cortez in highly mineralized soil

Cooch

Nov 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Cortez which is great on Sandy beaches or clean soil. The problem is my area is very very rocky and the rocks have s lot of iron. As an example, my driveway is local crushed stone and the Cortez seems to hit on every single stone. It's the same thing in the old fields: all the stones hit no matter what setting. I can put discriminate all the way up and sensitivity to zero and the beeping is unbearable. I'm using an 8 inch round coil. Not sure if a double D would make a difference. Seriously thinking of buying a minelab and selling the Cortez . Any suggestions?

titan 9000

Greenie
Jan 8, 2017
ohio
Detector(s) used
tesoro cibola mod.;titan 9000;minelab xterra705 gold plus plugger straight rod 5 coils;nokta pointer;sunray pro gold headphones;sunspot scoop;whites digger',Fisher F-pulse pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab 705 with 6" coiltek digger coil.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Cortez which is great on Sandy beaches or clean soil. The problem is my area is very very rocky and the rocks have s lot of iron. As an example, my driveway is local crushed stone and the Cortez seems to hit on every single stone. It's the same thing in the old fields: all the stones hit no matter what setting. I can put discriminate all the way up and sensitivity to zero and the beeping is unbearable. I'm using an 8 inch round coil. Not sure if a double D would make a difference. Seriously thinking of buying a minelab and selling the Cortez . Any suggestions?

You need a machine you can manually ground balance. Get an Outlaw with the 3-coil package.:skullflag:

Lewy

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero , compadre, outlaw, cibola, silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I used to run my Cortes it definitely had manual ground balance
And yes it would hit salty rocks down the beach, but not all rocks. ( In the wet sand area's)
Ground balance is the key to getting it right, but not sure if it should be more positive or neutral.
Just have to keep moving the settings very slightly and see.

It was a really nice machine , after all Tesoro rocks!

Last edited:

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ground balance only affects all metal. In disc, the GB is preset. A huge drawback for a $850 detector in 2017!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ground balance only affects all metal. In disc, the GB is preset. A huge drawback for a $850 detector in 2017!

Same with the Lobo Super Traq. You lose a lot of depth as soon as you flip out of All Metal. I would suggest a DD coil for it instead of the stock concentric.:skullflag:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread