Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Tejon is better for relic hunting, and is deeper also. TID is more for coins. I have a Deleon, and the Cortes has more info on the screen, but it is smaller to read. For coins and jewelry, the Cortes/Deleon is great. But for relics, the Tejon is the best.

dugpenny

Apr 24, 2007
Whippetdog said:
Looking to upgrade my Ace 250 and I keep hearing how great the Tejon is for relic hunting. I am starting get sold on the Tejon, but I like the ID screen on the Cortez. How do they compare? Which is the better detector for relic hunting?

Any help would be apprecited.

I owned the DeLeon which is basically the same as the Cortes with a few less bells. I now own and heavily use the Tejon.

The Tejon is a totally different type of detector but it still bares some of the characteristics of the TID and other uMax models.

The Tejon has that awesome target separation you'll find in all Tesoros. It also gives off sounds, that once learned, make IDing a target pretty easy simply by the sounds made. All Tesoros have this great advantage.

The main thing that sets the Tejon apart from all the others is depth. The Tejon gets about 2-6 inches more depth on coins than the Deleon. The soil mineralization is what determines the amount of gain. I dug Indian cents at 4 inches with my DeLeon that gave a distinct but weak sound. I dug an Indian at 10 inches with my Tejon that gave a distinct but weak sound. These coins where found at the same site with the same type of soil. You really can't beat an adjustable ground balance machine. The DeLoen and Cortes are factory preset ground balance which just doesn't compare.

I've read lots of comments about the Tejon not being a coin machine but I've found it to be the best I've owned yet. I loved my DeLeon but it couldn't compare with the coin getting ability of the Tejon. I've read that the V is also excellent but gets a little less depth. Tejon circuitry is different from all the other models. Even the company will tell you this if you ask them. That's why they gave it a totally different color design.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread