Cotton Patch Mine New London

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Silver Sabre
Just got back from the Cotton Patch Gold Mine in New London North Carolina and boy howdy we had a goody time! I took the kids out camping while I had to visit the University of North Carolina Greensboro to pick up my daughter. I figured I’d do a little prospect’in and made plans to stay overnight at the Cotton Patch.
After arriving late in the afternoon and getting the tent set and the kids unpacked, I got the basic 5 buckets of dirt for 12 bucks, and started to work thru it a little bit before the sun went down without much luck. After telling a few scary stories around the fire to scare the kids, I hit the cot with visions of better luck in finding gold in the morning .
DSC00234.JPG
After a restless night of sleep, we awoke to a light morning rain. So, I knew I woundn’t be hang’in around all that long due to the restless kids. I got down to business the best I could with a few of my young’uns tossing rocks and knocking my black sand into the trough when I wasn’t looking. Also, there were some ladies in the next trough over who were really struggling to get the feel of panning.
After they told me they came all the way from Vermont to come Gold Panning, I said “You all been watch’in too much treasure channel T.V. shows!” I went over to give them a demonstration and as I showed them how to work the pan and got some color they could hardly spot the specks due to their poor eyesight. “Its going to be a long day for them.” I pondered.
DSC00235.JPG
However, within minutes after returning to my claim I heard them yelling, so I turned around and walked over to see what was the matter. And there in one of the Vermont girls pan was a fine nugget! One of the mine hands came over and stated matter of factly “Tat dar is one o finest spes-ee-mans you’all gonings to find ere”. And it was nice, I say so myself!
DSC00236.JPG
I got me a small one in my next pan too, and since I had to hit the road, I went ahead and emptied the cooler and filled it with dirt to work over the wheelbarrow sometime in the future! Next Time I’m in for the Open Dig!

Bob
http://www.okinawarelics.com
DSC00237.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00234.JPG
    DSC00234.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC00235.JPG
    DSC00235.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 256
  • DSC00236.JPG
    DSC00236.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC00237.JPG
    DSC00237.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 256

jgowans

Sep 19, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Glad you had a good time. I still have to go through my take home bucket.
They are friendly people there. I hope they get more rain though.
They said the creek was dry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread