could be something good any guesses

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
Went to the bank to pick up the box of halves I order. Looked through some of them, nothing but junk. Also got a box of cents. NOW the interesting part. I asked for large dollars. She said there were two and the lady would be in an hour and a half, who could get them. Well Im going back. She said they were so old they were no longer legal tender. What do you think they are? Do you think Ill get my grubby hands on them?

Upvote 0

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Spanish Cob coins???

Wampum maybe???

A couple big rocks?

OP
OP
T

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
LOL I Agree, I could be driving back to the bank for nothing. Ill be leaving soon. Who knows.

OP
OP
T

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
Ikes. These darn tellers think a 43 year old coin is old. She even said they were no longer legal tender. And she works at a bank! oh well.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
No longer legal tender? jeez. Sounds more like teller who doesn't know coins. But ya never know...

I bet they're Ike dollars, but I have my fingers crossed that you'll get some Peace or Morgans! Wouldn't be the first time someone in the 21st century found such old dollars at a bank.

Good luck!

OP
OP
T

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
Coinlover said:
a 35 year old coin is so old its not legal tender anymore? ;)

Yeah, I was so disappointed I couldnt add. I wish it was 43 years old, then at least it would have been silver. I read all these increadable posts about morgans and peace dollars. I quess maybe one day my day will come.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Don't feel too bad. I've been coin hunting every week for the past few years, and I'm still waiting for my first Morgan or Peace. Someday...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
welll pray tell what was it? that was "no longer legal tender" never heard such drivel in me life. and from a teller no less. should know better than that. --- ? Ivan

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
It startling that some tellers don't know their own country's coinage. Most do, but if you work at a bank? Come on!

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Not legal tender?! If I'm not mistaken, everything issued by the US since 1850-something or 1860-something is still legal tender, although anything that old would be more valuable as a collectible and not as legal tender.
HH,
Bob

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
Every coin ever issued by the U.S. mint, no matter how long ago, remains legal tender. This includes the 1792 half disme, the 1793 large cent, etc.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Every coin ever issued by the U.S. mint, no matter how long ago, remains legal tender. This includes the 1792 half disme, the 1793 large cent, etc.

Glad someone brought this up.

One of my many pipedreams is to try to buy something using half cent, two cent, and three cent coins. hahaha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread