vespaboy

Greenie
Feb 20, 2018
Mayberry, NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex • Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I break down and clean my ACE 250 after my outings, and last reassemble I wrapped the coil wire a little tighter than usual around the stem.

As I came across a creek a splashed around if there were anything there in the shallows.

For the next hour or so, the MD was sounding off like a crazy banshee chicken.

I noticed the taut cable and loosened the slack. No problem after that...

Cloud the tight cable have pulled from the housing base at the coil and allowed water to get inside the connector and cause any damage?

I saw some guy on Youtube put silicone caulk in the flange where the cable exits the coil.

What do you think?

coil.jpg

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most coils are waterproof from the factory. If you compromise the watertight integrity by pulling the coil cable too tight, water.will find it's way in. Try a little silicone caulking around the cable attachment to the coil. Just be glad it wasn't SALT water.

Rink63

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a product called "Plasti Di"p. It comes in a liquid or spray. It's rubberized and may do the trick in eliminating the possibility of water getting into your coil wiring. Does real good on rubberizing tool handles.

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still under warranty?

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Before doing any waterproofing, I would leave the coil out in the sun for a few days to make sure all the moisture is out, before you seal it in.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is still under warranty send in for a new one.If you put silicone you will void the warranty.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something to check . Does your coil have a coil cover? If it does in a warm place let the cover set for a while and then carefully remove and clean under cover. You can also run the coil under warm make it more plyiable. Let us know of you find any dirt of sand under it. Make sure you dry it all off and then put cover back on.

OP
OP
vespaboy

vespaboy

Greenie
Feb 20, 2018
Mayberry, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not under warrantee as I got it at a pawn shop!
But as I was examining closer, I saw that I had not screwed in the plug into the head unit all the way. I guess the tight cable did not give enough slack to plug it in completely.
Now that there is more slack, it went in deeper and I was able to tighten the screw collar all the way!
I did leave it in the sun for a while too.
Nothing under the cover..
I think I will look into sealing the cable flange, though, just in case for the future.

Thanks for your comments.

BTW, the way the coil wraps around the stem- does it act as a phasing coil in any way? Should it be twisted a particular direction or number of times?

Thanks all! Happy dirt fishing!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also seal the cover with silicone so you never have to worry about dirt. To remove the cover, use a box cutter (careful!) to break the seal. ╦╦Ç

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But as I was examining closer, I saw that I had not screwed in the plug into the head unit all the way. I guess the tight cable did not give enough slack to plug it in completely.
Now that there is more slack, it went in deeper and I was able to tighten the screw collar all the way!
I think I will look into sealing the cable flange, though, just in case for the future.

BTW, the way the coil wraps around the stem- does it act as a phasing coil in any way? Should it be twisted a particular direction or number of times?

Always wrap the cable over the top first so the coil doesn't have a chance to pick up the cable.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also : Just because you bought it at a pawn shop does not mean there is no warranty. Call garrett and give them teh serial number you may be surprised !!1

OP
OP
vespaboy

vespaboy

Greenie
Feb 20, 2018
Mayberry, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also seal the cover with silicone so you never have to worry about dirt. To remove the cover, use a box cutter (careful!) to break the seal. ╦╦Ç

thanks good info!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call garrett and ask them about warranty then let us know how you make out ?

OP
OP
vespaboy

vespaboy

Greenie
Feb 20, 2018
Mayberry, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call garrett and ask them about warranty then let us know how you make out ?

My unit has a manufactured date of 2007.
oh well, no warranty

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005

Something I discovered that works with wet electronics, is to put them into a frost free fridge for a couple to three days. It removes the moisture, like its made to do.
I have salvaged some cell phones like this, and watches, hearing aids.
Your coil is solid state, so it should not be harmed, and it did start working again.
Also, do the silicone thing. It does look like the seal has been compromised

OP
OP
vespaboy

vespaboy

Greenie
Feb 20, 2018
Mayberry, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something I discovered that works with wet electronics, is to put them into a frost free fridge for a couple to three days. It removes the moisture, like its made to do.
I have salvaged some cell phones like this, and watches, hearing aids.
Your coil is solid state, so it should not be harmed, and it did start working again.
Also, do the silicone thing. It does look like the seal has been compromised

Thanks for the good advice, and I've already bought the silicone!
Cheers!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread