could plummets have been for spinning thread?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This recent find of mine has shed some light...at least for me on these artifacts. This one is made of pottery and was found in an archaic context...approximately 4000-2500 B.P. it obviously was not used as a net or fishing line weight could not have been used for any type of bola. With the help of this find I think I am subscribing to the idea that they were part of a loom set up. I would like to hear other opinions.

ForumRunner_20120815_074630.png

ForumRunner_20120815_074823.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like a bola..
Sure.. but there are bola stones. This one I have is pottery. And in the exact form as all the other hardstone and shell plummets it definitely wasn't used for that. I don't belive one common object had so many uses. Just isn't logical to me. Some..if you look at their shape even look like a top. Its the perfect shape to spin without a wobble. Plus.. the groove on many examples would not support that much tennsion. And they are not found with the inevitable damage that would occur from using them in that way.

Last edited:

IllinoisDug

Mar 12, 2012
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Other
Everyone on this board has seen lots of really ornate artifacts that didn't need to look that good to get the job done.

Ornamental. I hate that word when it comes to artifacts. I don't believe pre historic man had that much free time to devote to ornamental objects, this thread spinning idea is a very good thought.
Most of your time would be spent looking for food, and trying to avoid becoming food.
Hanging things around your neck that had no purpose doesn't make any sense to me.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are sure correct about that... just look at some of the flipping sticks people are posting. People haven't changed that much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread