Could these possibly be fur trade items?

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these in a private yard across the street from the site of British Fort Ligonier (1758-1766) in Ligonier, PA. I found them on a small rise above the old fort spring. They seem to be made of pewter or a type of pot metal and were connected with iron wire. Within two feet I found two .69 caliber Brown Bess musketballs. However, I also found a silver basketball charm the size of a .69 caliber ball there as well :laughing7:. Although I suspect this is probably 20th Century kids jewelry, I have also found 18th century cufflinks with colored glass stones :dontknow:. So I am wondering what the experts here think?

Attachments

• Jewelry pieces.jpg.JPG
    Jewelry pieces.jpg.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,488
  • Jewelry pieces.jpg.JPG
    Jewelry pieces.jpg.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,124
Upvote 0

MarkDz

Oct 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver UMax
In my far-from-expert opinion, these don't look like anything I've seen associated with trade items, though there seems to be a lot of variety in the kinds of jewelry that got traded around. I might try to scrape one of the green bits to see if it's glass, stone, plastic, etc. That might give a hint.
Good luck with the ID!

cokat7

Sep 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I am not an expert, but I'll share my thoughts. I have never seen any trade items or jewelery that resemble these.
However, they do share quite a few properties you would find in trade items. They do appear pewter, the stone looks like the same type used in trade rings, just a more flourescent green than I have seen before. The ring around the stone has a similar design used in trade rings. neat find.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cokat7 said:
I am not an expert, but I'll share my thoughts. I have never seen any trade items or jewelery that resemble these.
However, they do share quite a few properties you would find in trade items. They do appear pewter, the stone looks like the same type used in trade rings, just a more flourescent green than I have seen before. The ring around the stone has a similar design used in trade rings. neat find.

That is the reason I have kept these pieces. There is just enough in the design and material of these jewelry pieces to make me think 18th century. That plus the fact that there were a number of indians with the British army at this fort as well as others that came to trade over the years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread