413.5 KB · Views: 27

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking specimen.

Unfortunately, without submitting it for a detailed analysis, there's no way of saying. If one went by surface appearance alone and considered the most likely origins for sizeable iron meteorite specimens readily available to collectors, then Campo would be pretty much at the top of the list, with Nantan also a possibility.

It doesn't have a typical appearance for Sikhote-Alin, which is the other iron widely represented in most collections.

OP
OP
R

rrr5791

Apr 17, 2023
Nice looking specimen.

Unfortunately, without submitting it for a detailed analysis, there's no way of saying. If one went by surface appearance alone and considered the most likely origins for sizeable iron meteorite specimens readily available to collectors, then Campo would be pretty much at the top of the list, with Nantan also a possibility.

It doesn't have a typical appearance for Sikhote-Alin, which is the other iron widely represented in most collections.

Since it's not possible to tell for sure if its a Campo or Natan or Sikhote-Alin, is it possible to tell if its even actually a meteorite?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not usually possible to determine whether a specimen is a meteorite or not just by looking. It almost always requires professional testing or, in the case of iron meteorites, cutting and etching can sometimes be sufficient. However, in this case, the surface appearance together with its attraction to a magnet (strongly so, I would hope) puts it in the realms of high possibility. I would be surprised if it isn't, but you never can tell without confirmatory testing.

OP
OP
R

rrr5791

Apr 17, 2023
It's not usually possible to determine whether a specimen is a meteorite or not just by looking. It almost always requires professional testing or, in the case of iron meteorites, cutting and etching can sometimes be sufficient. However, in this case, the surface appearance together with its attraction to a magnet (strongly so, I would hope) puts it in the realms of high possibility. I would be surprised if it isn't, but you never can tell without confirmatory testing.
Thank you for the information! I appreciate it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread