Equilibrated Odriterdinary Chon?

obieblue

Greenie
Jul 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this rock it has a reddish orange fusion crust (possibly) and made up of tinny (white) circle dots, very dry and it sounds similar to a fire brick when I put its pieces back together. it was very hard to break into pieces and even though it is white in color when I filed a piece it left a light brown dust on a steal filer. I poured vinegar on rock and there was no reaction I mean no fizzing or foaming, it just rolled right off and did not soak into rock either.

Does it look like a equilibrated odriterdinary chondrite meteorite to anyone who reads this thread? It also has shock rings within the interior.

Attachments

• IMG_5179.jpg
    IMG_5179.jpg
    900 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5179.jpg
    IMG_5179.jpg
    900 KB · Views: 16

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

It looks nothing like an ordinary chondrite to me... nor any other kind of meteorite. Shock rings are not a usual feature of meteorites either. Shock features are more usually vein-like, following the weakest structural areas of the lithology and also usually apparent through to the surface as well as in the interior. I'm also not seeing anything that resembles a fusion crust, weathered or otherwise.

You haven't said whether it has any attraction to a magnet. A carbonaceous chondrite might not (although it's clearly not carbonaceous) but even low metal ordinary chondrites will exhibit weak attraction. If it's completely non-magnetic then it won't be an ordinary chondrite, and is much less likely to be any kind of meteorite... although magnetic attraction is not a confirmatory test since many terrestrial rocks exhibit some degree of magnetic properties.

OP
OP
O

obieblue

Greenie
Jul 22, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here are better images, the only metal if there appear as tinny little shiny spect's and it would have a very low iron nickel metal ratio if it is a meteorite because it doesn't seem to attack to a magnet
the red images are the exterior and the grey and white images are the interior.

Attachments

• IMG-5193.jpg
    IMG-5193.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG-5192.jpg
    IMG-5192.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG-5187.jpg
    IMG-5187.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG-5186.jpg
    IMG-5186.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG-5185.jpg
    IMG-5185.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The nickel content of the metal in meteorites is typically around 20% and doesn’t exceed about 30% in chondrites. Most of the rest will be iron, with a few percent of other metals.

If you can see grains, flecks, or veins of native metal in a specimen but there is no attraction to a magnet then it isn’t a meteorite. There are no exceptions to that rule.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread