Could this be a GEM

twentyinrims

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this while cutting doing some lawn work a few years back and just kicked it around outside till one day a friend said it looks like a GEM. Well any help would be good. First post so bare with me if there are mistakes. If you notice there are some white cloudy spots in the middle and other parts are clear. Texture is super smooth and if it were flat you wold be able to see thru it. Thanks in advance for looking and helping. 2012-04-22_13-36-33_506.jpg 2012-04-22_13-36-51_635.jpg 2012-04-22_13-37-05_315.jpg

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry bud, that's definitely colored glass of some sort

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
Definately glass. The air bubbles are your biggest indicator. Also the way the glass has fractured is always pretty distinctive.
Does look like it got some blood on it though.

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm surprised that you didn't post this in the Rock and Mineral category.. Never the less, But here is a little story to get you caught up on what this and why you found it.. there must have been someone in your family or in the neighborhood that enjoys gem mining (the poor mans way) This is where you would goto a gem mine (you know one of those road side attractions that have sluicing pits and trays for you to hunt for rocks and minerals in seeded buckets) and typically what the owners of these operations do is place glass (like what you have) on top of each bucket of sand etc.. to entice buyers into thinking there is something of value in or on top of each bucket. in other words.. "eye candy" to some and just glass to others..

DirtDodger

Mar 13, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this while cutting doing some lawn work a few years back and just kicked it around outside till one day a friend said it looks like a GEM. Well any help would be good. First post so bare with me if there are mistakes. If you notice there are some white cloudy spots in the middle and other parts are clear. Texture is super smooth and if it were flat you wold be able to see thru it. Thanks in advance for looking and helping. View attachment 628865 View attachment 628866 View attachment 628867

I have to say I generally only read the metal detecting finds, but this caught my eye. I happen to have seen this materal before and know where and what it is. It is glass of course, but it is glass created from the manufacture of making glass. It is cool and I have a piece my father got while working at the Corning Glass of NY. My father was a mason replacing the fire brick in one of the kilns. If you in that region that is likely where it came from.

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
Depending on size it is still worth a few bucks. They sell them by the pound at numerous tourist stops along the many highways across the USA.
I was fortunate enough to bump into the guy that hauls the stuff around and sells many different colors of glass in bulk to those places.... Not an easy life is all I can say...

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We used to call that Coke Bottle glass.

ABruce

Apr 11, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe that this is a piece of naturally occurring volcanic glass of some sort. I have a piece kicking around the house somewhere that my older brother had when I was a kid and it definitely has a partial crust of another stone attached. The piece I have is about the same color and has lot's of flaws and specs like this example.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread