temp meteor 4.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. I was given this a couple of years ago. No idea where it came from or what it is. Is it just glass or could it be a meteorite?

Cheers

Hello there, and welcome to T-Net. First, you should probably post something like this in "What is it?" instead of "Help!", because this is more of a website issues thread and "What is it?" is for identification. Second, I'm no expert on meteorites, but odds are that it is not. It looks like it might be obsidian or some other type of volcanic glass, maybe even a piece from the inside of of a blast furnace. A lot of meteorites are pure metal, especially iron or nickel. Does a magnet stick to it?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The color and texture, while not conclusive, tell me it likely volcanic glass or a dark slag glass.

Time for more coffee.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like smelter slag to me. Are there any smelters near where it was found? Sometimes you can find slag near railroad tracks.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard mikky! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) - members may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...

teacher.gif
2nd - Here are a few informative articles talking about meteorites...

Meteorites are pieces of asteroids and other bodies like the moon and Mars that travel through space and fall to the earth...

Do You Think You May Have Found a Meteorite?

Portland State University - Meteorite identification
The mission of our laboratory is to conduct meteorite research to help understand our place in the universe...

About Meteorites

Aerolite Meteorites

A meteorite is a piece of iron, stone, or stony-iron composite that has fallen to Earth from outer space...

How to find out if you have a Meteorite?

Meteorite-Identification.Com

The purpose of this site is to help the visitor better understand elementary identification of the most common meteorites...

Suspect Meteorite Tests
tn_moved_over.gif
3rd - I moved ya from HELP! over to GEOLOGICAL FORUMS > METEORITES for more exposure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread