Could this be like hitting the lottery....or not...

hobbyhunter

Greenie
Jan 17, 2007
I found this while detecting in up state ny.I've done all the basic tests and im led to believe it just may be a meteorite. Who knows i sure dont...It hold a magnet and is very dence. It also has melt patterns on it.I've done the whole toilet tank thing and it leaves no streaks. The inside of it looks like it has shiny metal flakes as well a glass .I gotta say its very cool..Can anyone help me id this thing....Thank you.....hobbyhunter

Attachments

• Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,283
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,273
  • Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,283
  • Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,278
P

pokerbear

Re: possible meteorite...

Gee, hope it is a real one. I don't know if it is but come this spring I'm gonna start detecting for one. $$$$$ Take it to a University and ask an egghead. Good luck.

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
I have three rocks similar to that one and they all have the symptoms..
Note the symptoms:
Do not make a scratch test mark on any unpainted tile of any sort,are heavier then a rock of it's own size and are magnetic.
I contacted a State geologist and he Say's no other rock on this earth has the symptoms of meteorites,so it must be a meteorite.
How-ever sometimes rocks are dirty and tend to hide the truth until they are cleaned and then tests again...So the inside is the best place for a good test..and you only need a small area to do the test.I prefer a lab cause the real test is very dangerous to do.
There is a test you can get,that tests for nickle..but it is expensive and can have false readings if done wrong..The lab is the best place to test.
The only way to test them is through a lab and that would mean cutting them.
The other way is to send a piece to Robert Haag (The meteorite man.com )with a note and he will test it ..if it is, he will let you know...if it is not, he still lets you knw..He is very reliable and I myself have sent parts of rocks in and always, he's true to you about his findings.And he is really a nice person too.
Robert A. Haag
P.O. box 27527
Tucson,Arizona 85726

Good luck!Lets us know what you find out and thanks for the nice clear picture of your rock too! :D

OP
OP
H

hobbyhunter

Greenie
Jan 17, 2007
hobbyhunter said:
I found this while detecting in up state ny.I've done all the basic tests and im led to believe it just may be a meteorite. Who knows i sure dont...It hold a magnet and is very dence. It also has melt patterns on it.I've done the whole toilet tank thing and it leaves no streaks. The inside of it looks like it has shiny metal flakes as well a glass .I gotta say its very cool..Can anyone help me id this thing....Thank you.....hobbyhunter
Nope. I sent it out to be tested and they said it was from this world..Iron ore...shucks..it sure had my heart beating though...

OP
OP
H

hobbyhunter

Greenie
Jan 17, 2007

paseclipse

Jul 10, 2005
Pasadena, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX4000, Minelab SD2100, White's GMT, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like it fits the first couple test.s Now you want to file a window into it and see if it has metal specks in it. If it does, then it's most likely a meteorite.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread