Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

Please help me identify this red point that I found around Shelbyville, Indiana. Shortly after my 7 year-old and I found those first two points above our pond, I was planting some trees along a creek that runs through another one of my father-in-law's fields, so as to keep the field from washing so badly during floods and to keep the bank from eroding. It was drizzling a bit and I still had arrowheads on the brain, so I decided to take a break to walk up a gully that had formed in my father-in-law's field from all of the rains we'd had this spring. I spotted this:
IMG_1140.JPG
The in-situ is actually not quite right. I was so excited I forgot to take one and had to put it back to where it originally was to take the photo (My collection is pretty small and it is perhaps the coolest point that I've ever found). Upon picking it up I thought that it was broken at first, but then I decided that it's just really asymmetrical. It is not beveled. Here's another few photos of it, along with a preform or finished blade that I found in the same gully that day.
IMG_1359.JPG
IMG_1360.JPG
IMG_1362.JPG
I'm still awful at identification so any help would be appreciated.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's made from heated flint so late archaic through woodland. Looks middle woodland sort of but the base is more of a late archaic style. Nice point, whatever time period. Gary

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gary. Another collector friend of mine said that the preform or blade next to it was Archaic because of the flaking that was used, but I really don't know that much. I think that some of the stuff that I've found above the pond is a mix of Archaic (LeCroys) and more recent, but I'm just starting to learn. I found a little Thebes in another field. I'll probably post my random field finds in another post sometime. I may post a picture of my father-in-law's display as well. He's got some nice knives and points that he collected here and there over the years.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread