Couldve, Shouldve - Updated

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Could've, Should've - Updated

My credit union agreed to sell me bags of coin off the machine in their lobby. I initially was all about sorting for pre-1982 copper so I only asked for penny bags. I have now amassed 17 $50 bags and finally decided that I'm going to do my own feeder/sorter rather than buy a Ryedale (I'll try to roughly duplicate this approach ->http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=393980.0). We'll see if that's a smart move for me or not. Bob did it, but he has more subject matter knowledge than I do. If I fail, I'll break down and get the Ryedale.

Anyway, somewhere along the line, I decided I had higher ambitions than just the Cu. I asked my girl at the credit union for halves and nickels. I now have 5 $200 bags of nickels waiting to be searched, but no halves yet. I get a bag of nickels about every 2wk and 2-3 bags of pennies every 10 days or so. They tell me it could be months before the halves fill up.

I've done one bag of nickels (found 2 1943-P war nickels, no bison, 73 pre-1960 including 4x1959 that are easily AU, and one 2009-P).

I've done two bags of pennies (found 33 wheats including a 1914; 37 Canadians; ~30% of the total were pre-82 Cu).

What has me second guessing myself so brutally is that I found a mint state 1963 penny in the second bag of pennies and a 1963 mint state nickel in the nickel bag. My guess is they are from the same mint set that somebody threw into the machine. (I only asked for pennies, nickels, and halves. I thought I had to draw the line somewhere.) I know in my gut that there is/was a 1963 in the dime bag that I didn't ask for and a 1963 in the quarter bag that I didn't ask for. But, I'm thinking that there is also a 1963 in the half bag that is waiting to fill up. My name is all over that one. How can I keep my mind off of that bag? By buying boxes of course.

I'm through 4 boxes so far and have 3 more to hunt.
Bank1, Box1: 1964, 1964
Bank1, Box2: 1964
Bank2, Box1 ($390 partial): 1968, 1968, 1968 Irish Pingin (worth about $0.16 for exchange)
Bank2, Box2: Pee-Ewe
Bank2, Box3: To be determined - - update - - [SKUNK]
Bank3, Box1: To be determined - - update - - [SKUNK]
Bank3, Box2: To be determined - - update - - [SKUNK]

When the dust settles, I'll need to dump the balance of $850 in pennies + $1,000 in Nickels + $3,390 in Halves. As of yet, I don't have the plan worked out that far ahead on how to do that. Sheesh, did I look before I leaped? Nope, and I'm not done leaping yet.

Upvote 0

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
Re: Could've, Should've

That should make you some friends dumping all that stuff :laughing9:

papa1956e9

May 11, 2011

You could always buy halves from a different bank and dump them at the bank that gives you bags. You can fill the bag and dump them somewhere else after you search them. It is a little more work, but it ensures that you get that bag, even if you have to fill it yourself.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS

nice finds! good luck on getting that half bag with the mint frankie! keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011

papa1956e9 said:
You could always buy halves from a different bank and dump them at the bank that gives you bags. You can fill the bag and dump them somewhere else after you search them. It is a little more work, but it ensures that you get that bag, even if you have to fill it yourself.
this would be my exact plan of action.

OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other

azlegends said:
papa1956e9 said:
this would be my exact plan of action.

I've got the searched halves to do just that. I'm thinking I should send an accomplice though. I don't want to sour this source of bags. If the wife is up for it, I'm going to attempt it. A mint '63 is worth the effort and it would make for a great story. Found the nickel, found the penny, found the frankie, only george and rosie got away.

azlegends

Jul 13, 2011

I would actually do the same thing with an accomplice, lol. Forget messing up a good bank, I just think that would look so weird, filling up a bag of coins, just to get them back. Sometimes I wonder what the tellers must thinks of us, lol.

dp2013

Sep 11, 2008

Think of it this way and maybe you can put your mind at ease over the 63 dime and quarter. The set was probably stolen and the silver was busted out of the set and sold at a pawn shop. Sleep well.

OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other

I think :dontknow: I might have the dime bag from that same time frame.

I stopped in to the credit union to make a deposit. The best teller in the whole wide world (that's what I call her when I see her) greeted me warmly. As I started filling out the deposit slip, she said she had a bag of .05 and probably a bag of .01 if I wanted them. I said "I do want them" and then asked how often the dimes fill up. She said it takes 3wk or more sometimes and that she had one that had been sitting for a while. I said I'd like to look through it and maybe the next one that fills. So, instead of depositing $300 cash, I withdrew $1000 and walked out dragging 3 bags of coin (20,000 coins) weighing 100lb or more.

If this bag has the mint '63 buddy of the .01 and .05 that I found in bags from a couple of weeks ago, I'll squeal like a girl (on the inside anyway).

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer

The person that broke up the set may have sold the silver coins for silver value, and just dumped the nickel and cent. Cause them ain't silver.

OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other

dave5710 said:
The person that broke up the set may have sold the silver coins for silver value, and just dumped the nickel and cent. Cause them ain't silver.

I know, but fantasizing about getting the gang back together is kinda fun.

dp2013 said:
Think of it this way and maybe you can put your mind at ease over the 63 dime and quarter. The set was probably stolen and the silver was busted out of the set and sold at a pawn shop. Sleep well.

This comment made me decide to take a trip to the Pawn shop. I didn't see "my" 1963 mint coins, but I did buy 3 silver eagles below melt value.

I paid $39 each for them. The catch though is they are the painted variety. The paint looks nice, but I was after the silver. These were in with the generic rounds, all for $39ea. I thought about picking up a handful of rounds, but decided to just clean them out of the eagles.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is a little OT but is there any way to take the color off those ASE's?

OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other

usandthem said:

I was wondering the exact same thing. They look nice painted, but truthfully, I would like 'em better without it.

OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Could've, Should've - Updated

I updated the finds in the remaining 4 0.50 boxes - all skunk.

Searched the bag of dimes - 4 rosies ('57D, '60D, '61D, '61D). I was a bit disappointed that I didn't hit on the '63 mint that I was looking for. But only as disappointed as someone who just found four silver dimes could be. Dimes also had 3 Canadian, a 1970 1/2 Fr., a Republic of Trinidad cent, and a Euro cent.

RP4L

Jun 3, 2011

usandthem said:

Boil them. That's worked for me in the past anyway. You may need to use your fingers to peel off some of the paint that doesn't come off when boiling. It'll never look as good as did before it was painted, sadly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread