Counterfeit Gold Coin on eBay

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
After I ran across this auction on eBay I decided to follow it and see how it ended. http://cgi.ebay.com/1862-S-PCGS-GOL...371612582QQcategoryZ39469QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The auction was for an "1862-S PCGS GOLD QUARTER EAGLE NOT GENUINE N/R". Did you catch the "NOT GENUINE" part? In the description the seller states the coin "WAS SENT TO PCGS AND CAME BACK, NOT GENUINE". That means it is a fake. A counterfeit. One of the pics of the coin even has the PCGS insert that says "NOT GENUINE". I would say the bidders were duly warned.

A genuine common date Liberty Quarter Eagle in good condition would be worth around $145 to $150 but a genuine 1862-S QE will cost you $500 to $4,000 or more depending on condition. Assuming the counterfeit coin has the same gold content as a genuine coin its melt value is $66.13. I doubt a counterfeit is worth much, if any, more than its gold content.

The counterfeit coin in this auction brought $151.50, more than double its gold value. The coin in the pics looks genuine enough. If you were quickly scanning coin auctions that were ending soon you might read "1862-S PCGS GOLD QUARTER EAGLE" and miss the "NOT GENUINE" part. $150 for this coin would be a bargain if it were a genuine piece. Maybe the bidders did not carefully read the description and didn't know they were bidding on a fake. (Then again, maybe the buyer plans to sell it as a genuine coin to an unsuspecting buyer at a flea market or coin show.)

Moral of the story: Be careful what you bid on and don't get carried away in an auction. Counterfeit gold coins are rampant on eBay.

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Yes, someone could have easily described it as the real thing. That may be what they plan to do with it now :-\ If I was the seller I would stamp a C or R on it to let people know its a reproduction or fake.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Counterfeit coins are actually quite collectible since they do represent a part of our numismatic history, especially those mentioned in the popular coin guide books. Those coins aren't valued in the book but an honorable mention makes them somewhat desireable.

OP
OP
Klaatu

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I agree, 1320. I own a counterfeit or two myself. I would not mine owning an Omega Double Eagle to be honest.

I have two concerns with the eBay auction:

1) A bidder may fail to notice the piece is counterfeit and bid as if it were genuine.

2) The successful bidder may turn around and sell it as genuine to an unsuspecting buyer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread